Jacobian Change of Variables Question

In summary, the homework statement is trying to evaluate the integral making an appropriate change of variables. The attempt at a solution found that the integrand was not integrable and that there was no antiderivative for the outside integral. The order of integration was changed to try and make the problem easier.
themadhatter1

Homework Statement

Evaulate the integral making an appropriate change of variables.

[tex]\int\int_R(x+y)e^{x^2-y^2}dA[/tex] where R is the parallelogram enclosed by the lines x-2y=0, x-2y=4, 3x-y=1, 3x-y=8 .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what change of variables I should make. The way the region R is defined suggests that I should make the substitution u=x-2y, v=3x-y. Which maps the region r into a square s which is a simple region to integrate over. However, solving for x and y you obtain x=(1/5)(2v-u), y= (1/5)(v-3u). Changing the integral using these substitutions yields

[tex] \frac{1}{5}(3v-4u)e^{\frac{1}{25}(-8u^2+2uv+3v^2)}[/tex] which is not integrable.

Likewise, if you select a substitution which makes the integrand simple, say u=x+y and v=x-y you obtain a parallelogram as the region s which is not simple to integrate over. Am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Making the integrand simple is usually more important than making the borders simple. I would go with the parallelogram.

How can you rewrite the exponent?

spamiam said:
How can you rewrite the exponent?

you can rewrite the exponents as (x-y)(x+y). Using the substitution u=x-y and y=x+y you have a parallelogram with bounds v=3u,v=3u-8,v=-2u+1,v=-2u+8. Therefore, the area can be represented by the following integrals

[tex]\int_{0.2}^{1.6}\int_{-2u+1}^{3u}ve^{uv}dvdu+\int_{1.6}^{1.8}\int_{-2u+1}^{-2u+8}ve^{uv}dvdu+\int_{1.8}^{3.2}\int_{3u-8}^{-2u+8}ve^{uv}dvdu[/tex]

These integrals are very difficult to work with and you can't find an anti-derivative for the outside integral. I suppose at least I can approximate the value with a calculator now, but there has to be an easier way which yields an exact solution that you don't have to integrate over a parallelogram.

I didn't work the whole problem out. I usually do, but I don't like this one any better than you do. But if you integrate dv first then the antiderivative of v*exp(uv)=(uv-1)*exp(uv)/u^2. That doesn't look good. But if you integrate du first the antiderivative is just exp(uv). That looks much better. I'm not saying that will make it easy, but it certainly should make it better. Try changing the order of integration.

1. What is the Jacobian matrix and how is it used in change of variables?

The Jacobian matrix is a mathematical tool used in multivariate calculus to describe the relationship between two sets of variables. In change of variables, it is used to transform integrals from one coordinate system to another.

2. How is the Jacobian matrix calculated?

To calculate the Jacobian matrix, the partial derivatives of the new variables with respect to the original variables are computed and organized into a matrix. The determinant of this matrix is then used in the change of variables formula.

3. What is the significance of the Jacobian determinant in change of variables?

The Jacobian determinant is an important factor in change of variables because it represents how the volume and orientation of a region change under the transformation. It is necessary for correctly calculating integrals in the new coordinate system.

4. Can the Jacobian matrix be used for any type of change of variables?

No, the Jacobian matrix can only be used for smooth and invertible transformations. It cannot be used for transformations that are not one-to-one or have discontinuous derivatives.

5. How is the Jacobian matrix related to the change of variables formula for multiple integrals?

The Jacobian matrix is used to calculate the Jacobian determinant, which is then used in the change of variables formula for multiple integrals. This formula allows for the transformation of integrals from one coordinate system to another.