Joule Heating, Calculating Filament Resistance

In summary: The experiment is joule heating and I'm trying to calculate the filament resistance.1.) mass of the calorimeter cup 49.5gspecific heat of the aluminum cup: 0.22 cal/kg*Kmass of calorimeter cup w/ water 232.5ginitial water temp. 20.5 Cvoltage across heater 7.3Vcurrent through heater 5Afinal water temp 32.7 Ctime interval 10minscalculated filament resistance = ?ΔQ = mcΔT ; have to use this twice, mass and heat capacity of water + mass and heat capacity of the aluminum calorimeter cupU =
reaxn
The experiment is joule heating and I'm trying to calculate the filament resistance.1.) mass of the calorimeter cup 49.5g
specific heat of the aluminum cup: 0.22 cal/kg*K
mass of calorimeter cup w/ water 232.5g
initial water temp. 20.5 C
voltage across heater 7.3V
current through heater 5A
final water temp 32.7 C
time interval 10mins
calculated filament resistance = ?ΔQ = mcΔT ; have to use this twice, mass and heat capacity of water + mass and heat capacity of the aluminum calorimeter cupU = I squared * Resistance * time
3.) I have no clue where to go :| I've attempted numerous times but I haven't come out with a resistance anywhere close to what I should be getting.

can anybody help me out ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
if any1 can log onto aol instant messenger or mirc, post your screename or an irc server/channel name, so that we can chat :) thanks

Hi reaxn,

Please post some details of what you have done (the numbers you used in the equations and your final answer).

ok i subsituted in all the values and came out with a Q of 9897.1

i interchanged Q and U and plugged in U = I^2*R*t i used 5 for I and time 600s? is that correct or should i have used 10 mins?

the R came out to be .660 once i solved for R

seems very wrong for some reason :(

Yes, it should be 600 seconds since you're using 5 amps( and an amp is a coulomb/second).

However, I was more interested in the numbers you used to get the Q value, because some of your numbers seem like they might have problems. For example, you have the specific heat of aluminum as 0.22 cal/(kg*K), but I think that is not right; I think it needs to be 0.22 cal / (g*K).

By the way, do you know your answer is wrong? What do you think it should be?

1. What is Joule Heating?

Joule Heating is the process of heating a material due to the flow of electrical current through it. This occurs because the resistance of the material causes some of the electrical energy to be converted into heat.

2. How is Joule Heating calculated?

Joule Heating can be calculated using the formula P = I^2 * R, where P is the power dissipated as heat, I is the current flowing through the material, and R is the resistance of the material.

3. What is filament resistance?

Filament resistance refers to the electrical resistance of a filament, which is a thin wire or thread used in a variety of devices such as light bulbs and heaters. It is a measure of how much the filament resists the flow of electricity.

4. How is filament resistance calculated?

Filament resistance can be calculated using the formula R = ρ * (l/A), where R is the resistance, ρ is the resistivity of the material, l is the length of the filament, and A is the cross-sectional area of the filament.

5. What factors can affect filament resistance?

The factors that can affect filament resistance include the material of the filament, its length and cross-sectional area, as well as the temperature of the filament. The resistivity of the material can also vary with temperature, so this can also impact the filament's resistance.