Galilean Relativity: Different Frames, Different Results

In summary, the drunkard and the person who is observing him both think that the world is revolving around them. However, Galileo's relativity theory says that this is only true for linear motion, not rotational motion.
Alpharup
I thought of explaining galilean relativity to a layman like this:

"A person is heavily drunk and he revolves, revolves and revolves. He shouts," The world is revolving around me". You are bystander and u say," you drankard, the world is not revolving, but you are the one who is going in rounds and rounds". Who is correct? You or the drunkard:D;)...Well, galilean relativity says both are right. For him, he is at rest and all the objects are revolving. For you, you are at rest and see him revolving "

My idea is to present him that different frames yield different results( one is drunkard's frame and another is layman's frame)

Is this example right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, it's right but it seems to me that a more straightforward and common explanation is your being on a train in a station and the train next to you starts to move. But who REALLY started to move, you or them?

Likes Alpharup
phinds said:
Sure, it's right but it seems to me that a more straightforward and common explanation is your being on a train in a station and the train next to you starts to move. But who REALLY started to move, you or them?
Another one...you are doing pushups. ...either you are doing pushups or the Earth is moving towards and away from you.

Alpharup said:
A person is heavily drunk and he revolves, revolves and revolves.
Hi Alpharup:

I think Galilean relativity applies only to linear motion, and not rotational motion. Perhaps if I am wrong about this, someone will correct my error.

See http://physics.ucr.edu/~wudka/Physics7/Notes_www/node47.html . Here is a quote:
Generalizing these observations Galileo postulated his relativity hypothesis:
any two observers moving at constant speed and direction with respect to one another will obtain the same results for all mechanical experiments

Regards,
Buzz

Likes Alpharup
Buzz Bloom said:
Hi Alpharup:

I think Galilean relativity applies only to linear motion, and not rotational motion. Perhaps if I am wrong about this, someone will correct my error.

See http://physics.ucr.edu/~wudka/Physics7/Notes_www/node47.html . Here is a quote:
Generalizing these observations Galileo postulated his relativity hypothesis:
any two observers moving at constant speed and direction with respect to one another will obtain the same results for all mechanical experiments

Regards,
Buzz
No I am not talking about results in different frames. What I am talking about is intuition behind relativity. People have a preconceived notion of right observation and wrong observation. Just to explain them, I asked this. Also, relativity apples to rotational motion as well

Alpharup said:
Another one...you are doing pushups. ...either you are doing pushups or the Earth is moving towards and away from you.
Nah, NOBODY is going to believe that one; everybody's muscles tell them THEY are moving :smile:

Likes Alpharup
phinds said:
Nah, NOBODY is going to believe that one; everybody's muscles tell them THEY are moving :smile:
Haha:biggrin:...

Alpharup said:
Also, relativity apples to rotational motion as well
Hi Alpharup:

I apologize for misunderstanding you. Since the title of the thread said "Galilean", I thought your intention was to provide examples to explain Galileo's concept.

Regards,
Buzz

There's something like this about a man, a tree, and a squirrel. A man walks once around a tree and the squirrel scurries to keep the tree in between him and the man. Has the man walked around the squirrel?

Helios said:
There's something like this about a man, a tree, and a squirrel. A man walks once around a tree and the squirrel scurries to keep the tree in between him and the man. Has the man walked around the squirrel?
If you think about it at all, it is clear that no he has not. The man ALWAYS sees the squirrel 90 degrees off of one shoulder (which one depends on which way they are circling) so this is not at all a good example of the relativity of movement.

phinds said:
If you think about it at all, it is clear that no he has not. The man ALWAYS sees the squirrel 90 degrees off of one shoulder (which one depends on which way they are circling) so this is not at all a good example of the relativity of movement.
It's a wondrous example of the relativity of movement ( if you think about it at all ). Others would say the man has covered north, west, south, and east making one once-around. It is the choice of axis of rotation that distinguishes the different meanings of ‘going around.’ It is a choice between two reference frames.

Alpharup said:
No I am not talking about results in different frames. What I am talking about is intuition behind relativity. People have a preconceived notion of right observation and wrong observation. Just to explain them, I asked this. Also, relativity apples to rotational motion as well
If I may make a recommendation, I'd avoid using rotating reference frames when explaining Galilean relativity. At least avoid it at the beginning of the explanation. You can always bring it up later after the basics are firmly established.

Even in Galilean relativity, there exists concepts such as "inertial frames," frames that might have differing relative velocities but are not rotating or accelerating. I'd start with those.

I say that because a person can tell if he or she is rotating. For example, if a person is rotating around their center, they would feel a centrifugal force that might cause their arms to extend outwards. The characteristics of this force are quantifiable and predictable. And the person would not feel this force if not rotating, but rather that other people/things were revolving around him or her.

There's some very colorful history behind this, most notably from Newton's bucket argument. Even today, with general relativity and modern physics, the solution to the argument is not wholly clear [when applied to all the matter in the universe] (although most physicists today would probably side on rotational motion not being relative, but rather absolute).

I'm not saying one shouldn't discuss the relative aspects of rotational motion; it is a fascinating topic -- certainly worthy of discussion. Just realize that if you bring up rotational motion being relative, you're opening up a whole can of worms.

Last edited:

1. What is Galilean Relativity?

Galilean Relativity is a principle in physics that states that the fundamental laws of physics are the same in all inertial reference frames. This means that the laws of motion and the basic principles of mechanics, such as the conservation of energy and momentum, are the same regardless of the observer's perspective.

2. What is an inertial reference frame?

An inertial reference frame is a frame of reference in which a body at rest remains at rest and a body in motion remains in motion with constant velocity in a straight line, unless acted upon by an external force. This means that there is no acceleration or rotation in the frame, and it is not affected by external forces or factors such as gravity or friction.

3. How does Galilean Relativity differ from Einstein's Theory of Relativity?

Galilean Relativity and Einstein's Theory of Relativity are based on different principles. Galilean Relativity is based on the concept of an absolute space and time, while Einstein's Theory of Relativity is based on the idea that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. Additionally, Einstein's Theory of Relativity includes the concept of spacetime and the effects of gravity, while Galilean Relativity does not.

4. What does it mean when we say "different frames, different results" in Galilean Relativity?

This means that when observing the same event from different inertial reference frames, the measurements and results may appear different. This is because the observers are experiencing different perspectives and relative motion, but the underlying physical laws remain the same.

5. How is Galilean Relativity used in practical applications?

Galilean Relativity is used in many practical applications, such as in the fields of mechanics, engineering, and navigation. It allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations based on the laws of motion, regardless of the observer's perspective. For example, it is used in the design of airplanes and spacecraft, as well as in GPS technology for navigation.