Kinematics and dynamic circular motion of conical pendulum

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the period of an object moving in a circular motion using only the variables L (length of rope), R (radius), M (mass), and G (gravity). The equations V=ωR, Fcentripetal = ##\frac {MV^2} {R}##, Fgravity = MG, Pythagoras, and basic trigonometry are used to solve the problem. The solution given by the expert is confirmed to be correct and the concept of centripetal force is explained as the force that causes an object to move in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle.
diazdaiz

Homework Statement

one.png
[/B]
find the period with only using L (for the long of the rope), R (for the radius), M (for the mass), and G (for the gravity)

Homework Equations

V=ωR
Fcentripetal = ##\frac {MV^2} {R}##
Fgravity = MG
phytagoras
basic trigonometry

The Attempt at a Solution

two.png
[/B]
i have tried to do it this way
##x=\sqrt {L^2 - R^2}##
##F_1=F_2##
##MG Cos (θ) = \frac {MV^2} {R} Cos (90-θ) ##
##\frac {MGR} {L} = \frac{MV^2 \sqrt {L^2 - R^2}} {RL}##
##\frac {MGR} {L} = \frac{Mω^2 R^2 \sqrt {L^2 - R^2}} {RL}##
##\frac {MGR} {L} = \frac{M4π^2 R^2 \sqrt {L^2 - R^2}} {RLT^2}##
##T^2 = \frac{4π^2 \sqrt {L^2 - R^2}} {G}##
##T = \sqrt {\frac{4π^2 \sqrt {L^2 - R^2}} {G}}##
am i right?
some of my friend have i different answer from me, actually, i don't really know where is the centripetal force direction

can someone explain me what is centripetal force actually with answering this question
(sorry for bad english)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
I think your solution is correct.
Centripetal acceleration is acceleration which makes something 'go in a circle' - not straight forward. It points toward the centre of the circle.
Multiplied with the mass, this gives the 'centripetal force'.
Hope this helped.

Replusz said:
Hi,
I think your solution is correct.
Centripetal acceleration is acceleration which makes something 'go in a circle' - not straight forward. It points toward the centre of the circle.
Multiplied with the mass, this gives the 'centripetal force'.
Hope this helped.
ok, thank you very much

1. What is a conical pendulum?

A conical pendulum is a type of pendulum that moves in a circular motion instead of a back-and-forth motion like a traditional pendulum. It consists of a mass attached to a string or rod that is suspended from a fixed point and allowed to swing freely.

2. How does a conical pendulum move?

A conical pendulum moves in a circular motion due to the combination of two types of motion: uniform circular motion and simple harmonic motion. The mass is constantly changing direction as it moves in a circle, while the string or rod provides the restoring force for the simple harmonic motion.

3. What factors affect the motion of a conical pendulum?

The motion of a conical pendulum is affected by several factors, including the length of the string or rod, the mass of the object, the angle at which the string or rod is suspended, and the gravitational force of the Earth.

4. What is the equation for calculating the period of a conical pendulum?

The equation for calculating the period (T) of a conical pendulum is T = 2π√(L/g), where L is the length of the string or rod and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation assumes that the angle of suspension is small (less than 15 degrees).

5. How is a conical pendulum used in real life?

A conical pendulum has various real-life applications, such as in amusement park rides, Foucault pendulums used to demonstrate the Earth's rotation, and in some types of clocks and scientific instruments. It is also used in physics experiments to study the principles of circular motion and simple harmonic motion.