Kinetic Energy-Mass conversion

• Thread starter ShamelessGit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinetic
In summary, the task is to calculate the threshold kinetic energy required to create an anti-proton by smashing two protons together. The conservation of energy and momentum are used to solve the problem, which can be simplified by considering the center of mass frame. This approach is much easier than trying to solve the problem algebraically.
ShamelessGit

Homework Statement

I'm trying to learn relativity on my own by doing practice problems on the internet. One of the ones I'm having difficulty with is one where you have to calculate the threshold kinetic energy necessary to create an anti-proton by smashing two protons together. I think you assume that one proton is at rest and the other smashes it, and then all 3 protons and the anti-proton move together at the same speed after the collision. You have to create a proton as well as an anti-proton in order to conserve charge.

Homework Equations

Kinetic energy = √(mc^2/(1-(v/c)^2)) - mc^2
Momentum = mv/√(1-(v/c)^2)

Rest energy = mc^2

Energy and momentum conserved

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that I'd try to solve it the same way I'd try to solve for an elastic collision in classical physics, which is by setting up the conservation of energy and conservation of momentum and then by solving the system of equations.

I get:

K1 + M1 = K2 + M2

P1 = P2

P stands for momentum, K stands for kinetic energy, and M stands for mass energy.

This is the second time I've tried to work it this way. The first time I actually tried to solve it algebraically, which is a mess, and I found that I had set up an inconsistent system when I finally had rearranged everything and substituted. I figured I must have just set up the equation wrong and I tried again a few days later (today), but I noticed that this question is a part of a test that students would have to take and it is only worth 1 point, which is the same amount of points given to much easier questions, such as a simple Doppler-shift calculation, or simply writing down the Lorentz transformations (without having to use them). So I'm thinking that there must be a much easier solution to this problem? Also, are the equations I wrote down correct? I haven't actually tried to substitute anything this time because I can see that it will be an awful problem and probably not what the instructor was looking for.

Physics news on Phys.org
ShamelessGit said:

Homework Statement

I'm trying to learn relativity on my own by doing practice problems on the internet. One of the ones I'm having difficulty with is one where you have to calculate the threshold kinetic energy necessary to create an anti-proton by smashing two protons together. I think you assume that one proton is at rest and the other smashes it, and then all 3 protons and the anti-proton move together at the same speed after the collision. You have to create a proton as well as an anti-proton in order to conserve charge.

Homework Equations

Kinetic energy = √(mc^2/(1-(v/c)^2)) - mc^2
Momentum = mv/√(1-(v/c)^2)

Rest energy = mc^2

Energy and momentum conserved

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that I'd try to solve it the same way I'd try to solve for an elastic collision in classical physics, which is by setting up the conservation of energy and conservation of momentum and then by solving the system of equations.

I get:

K1 + M1 = K2 + M2

P1 = P2

P stands for momentum, K stands for kinetic energy, and M stands for mass energy.

This is the second time I've tried to work it this way. The first time I actually tried to solve it algebraically, which is a mess, and I found that I had set up an inconsistent system when I finally had rearranged everything and substituted. I figured I must have just set up the equation wrong and I tried again a few days later (today), but I noticed that this question is a part of a test that students would have to take and it is only worth 1 point, which is the same amount of points given to much easier questions, such as a simple Doppler-shift calculation, or simply writing down the Lorentz transformations (without having to use them). So I'm thinking that there must be a much easier solution to this problem? Also, are the equations I wrote down correct? I haven't actually tried to substitute anything this time because I can see that it will be an awful problem and probably not what the instructor was looking for.

Such problems are almost always much easier if you go to the so-called "center of mass (CM) frame", in which the initial (and final) total momentum = 0. That is what physicists do: carry out the basics in the CM frame, then transform afterwards into other frames if needed.

You're right! That does make it so much easier! Thanks!

What is Kinetic Energy-Mass conversion?

Kinetic Energy-Mass conversion is the process of converting the mass of an object into its corresponding amount of kinetic energy.

How is Kinetic Energy-Mass conversion related to Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2?

Kinetic Energy-Mass conversion is directly related to Einstein's equation, as it states that mass and energy are equivalent and can be converted into one another. This means that a small amount of mass can produce a large amount of kinetic energy.

What factors affect the amount of kinetic energy produced through Kinetic Energy-Mass conversion?

The amount of kinetic energy produced through Kinetic Energy-Mass conversion is affected by the speed of the object and its mass. The faster an object is moving and the greater its mass, the more kinetic energy it will have.

Can Kinetic Energy-Mass conversion be reversed?

Yes, Kinetic Energy-Mass conversion can be reversed. This means that kinetic energy can be converted back into mass, as shown in nuclear power plants and nuclear weapons.

What real-world applications use Kinetic Energy-Mass conversion?

Kinetic Energy-Mass conversion has many real-world applications, such as in nuclear power plants, nuclear weapons, and particle accelerators. It is also used in medical imaging technologies, such as PET scans, which convert the energy from radioactive isotopes into images of the body.