1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic energy of electron

1. Oct 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(NOTE: I solved the first two parts of this problem, but I included it anyway so you have background knowledge for the third question)

The average kinetic energy of an electron in a ground-state helium atom is 2.4x10^3 kJ/mol.

A. What is the corresponding electron velocity?

B. An experiment measures this velocity with an uncertainty of 10%. Calculate the minimum uncertainty in the position of the electron for this experiment.

C. The effective radius of a helium atom is 130 pm. Is the uncertainty in the position you calculated in B a significant fraction of this radius?

2. Relevant equations

A. KE=(1/2)mv^2

B. Δx*Δv≥ h/(4pi)m

C. N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

A. Just multiplied 2.4e3 kJ/mol by (1 mole/6.022e23 electrons) and used the above equation to solve for v. Got 3.0e6 m/s.

B. Took 10% of my velocity, plugged that into the above inequality. Obtained Δx=2.0e-10 m (can someone check if this is right?)

C. If the above answer in B is right, do I just take that answer and divide it by 1.30e-10 m to get my answer for C?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2013 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

That looks correct.

I don't think that C calls for a numerical result, rather an appreciation of the result of B compared to the effective radius.

4. Oct 28, 2013 #3
    Hey DrClaude, thanks for your help/checking my answers again :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted