1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetics, Arrhenius

1. Apr 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The activation energy and Arrhenius paramter can be found from its temperature dependence
    the Arrhenius equation

k=Aexp(-Ea/RT) --> lnk=lnA - Ea/RT

Given data is 5 temperatures with their corresponding k values

Q1) From this data calculate A and Ea

q2)
    Here A has been considered independent of temperature. Show this is a good approximation by comparing ratios A(T2)/A(T1) and exp(-Ea/RT2)/exp(-Ea/RT1)
    (T1 300K T2 500K)
    (use collision theory expression for A)

3. The attempt at a solution

Q1) Ok so this bit I think is fine. To find Ea and A I plotted lnk vs 1/T to get a straight line

Ea = -k x R = slope of the line x 8.314

then A is exp(intercept)

So I got both the values from the graph.

Not sure about the second part though:

Q2)can only find collision theory 'A' as d^2(8kbT/u)^1/2
    So I don't really understand which equation I'm supposed to be using to find A at T1 and A at T2?

Then for exp(-Ea/RT2)/exp(-Ea/RT1) I'm just using the Ea value I found from the graph, just changing the temperatures.

I'm guessing the ratios are supposed to turn out to be similar

Help much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2017 #2

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You've already found Ea and A at 300K from the graph that you plotted. The thing to focus on from collision theory is that A is proportional to the square root of T:
    $$A \propto \sqrt{T}$$
    The proportionality constant isn't going to change with temperature, so you're just going to get
    $$A = k_{prop}T$$
    You can plug in the value you found for A in part 1 of your question, and plug in T=300K to find ##k_{prop}##. Then you can put this back in the above equation along with T=500K to get the value for what A would be at 500K.

Another option is simply to notice that
    $$\frac{A_{500K}}{A_{300K}} = \sqrt{\frac{500K}{300K}} \approx 1.29$$
    since the other constants in your collision theory expression for A all cancel. So even over a range of 200 degrees, the prefactor only changes by less than 30%. Thus constant A turns out to be a decent approximation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted