Masses on table - Acceleration of Connected Objects

In summary, the conversation discusses problem 2.9 from Kleppner and Kolenkow, 2nd edition which involves finding the acceleration of masses connected by ropes and a pulley. The person provides their solution and checks it against various special cases. The final result is that the expressions for the acceleration of each mass make sense and the solution checks out.
jbunniii
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

This is problem 2.9 from Kleppner and Kolenkow, 2nd edition. I think I got it right, just want to check since I'm self-studying.

Masses on table
Two masses, ##A## and ##B##, lie on a frictionless table, as shown (see my crudely drawn figure in the thumbnail :-p). They are attached to either end of a light rope of length ##l## which passes around a pulley of negligible mass. The pulley is attached to a rope connected to a hanging mass, ##C##. Find the acceleration of each mass.

Homework Equations

##F = ma##

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I chose the coordinates as follows:
* ##x## points horizontally, away from and perpendicular to the table edge
* ##y## points downward vertically

Define the positions of the objects:
* ##x_A## = horizontal position of mass ##A##
* ##x_B## = horizontal position of mass ##B##
* ##x_p## = horizontal position of movable pulley (the one to the left in the figure)
* ##y_C## = vertical position of mass ##C##
* Note that I didn't draw it very well, but the pulley to the right in the figure is fixed: it is attached rigidly to the table.

I obtained the following constraints due to the rope connections:
$$2 \ddot x_p = \ddot x_A + \ddot x_B$$
$$\ddot x_p + \ddot y_C = 0$$
Combining these, we get
$$-2 \ddot y_C = \ddot x_A + \ddot x_B$$

I then considered the forces on each mass, and on the movable pulley. Masses ##A## and ##B## each have tension ##T_1## pointing to the right (negative ##x##) due to the rope. Thus,
$$T_1 = -M_B \ddot x_B = -M_A \ddot x_A$$
Mass ##C## is acted upon by gravity downward and by tension from the second rope upward. This gives us
$$M_C g - T_2 = M_C \ddot y_C$$
The two tensions are related by the movable pulley: tension ##T_2## pulls to the right, and ##2T_1## pulls to the left. Since the pulley is massless, this gives us ##T_2 = 2T_1##.

Thus we have five equations and five unknowns. I won't go through all the algebra as it's rather ugly but routine. My answer, in case anyone has done this problem and has their solutions available to verify, is:
$$\ddot x_A = \frac{-2 M_C M_B g}{M_C M_B + M_C M_A + 4 M_B M_A}$$
$$\ddot x_B = \frac{M_A}{M_B} \ddot x_A = \frac{-2 M_C M_A g}{M_C M_B + M_C M_A + 4 M_B M_A}$$
$$\ddot y_C = -\frac{1}{2}(\ddot x_A + \ddot x_B) = \frac{(M_C M_A + M_C M_B)g}{M_C M_B + M_C M_A + 4 M_B M_A}$$

I checked several special cases:

Case 1 : ##M_C = 0##. In this case, all the accelerations are zero, as expected since nothing is pulling the system.

Case 2 : ##M_A = 0##. In this case, ##\ddot x_B = 0## (intuitively expected because the "path of least resistance" is to pull massless mass ##A## and leave mass ##B## alone), ##\ddot x_C = (M_C M_B g)/(M_C M_B) = g## (reasonable because ##C## is able to free-fall), and ##\ddot x_A = -2 (M_C M_B g) / (M_C M_B) = -2g## (reasonable since ##C## is free-falling and the movable pulley doubles the motion of ##A##).

Case 3 ##M_A = M_B = M_C##. Here the expressions reduce to ##\ddot x_A = \ddot x_B = -g/3## and ##\ddot x_C = g/3##. I guess this makes sense because gravity's force gets distributed across the three masses equally, so the acceleration of each one is one third of ##g##. I think.

Case 4 ##M_A = M_B = 0##. Here the expressions are invalid because the denominators are zero. But if we step back to the earlier equations, we get: ##T_1 = 0##, ##M_c g = M_C \ddot y_C##, hence ##\ddot y_C = g## as expected since ##C## can free-fall. Also, ##\ddot x_A + \ddot x_B = -2g## and ##\ddot x_A = \ddot x_B##, which forces ##\ddot x_A = \ddot x_B = -g##, as expected since they simply follow ##C## down.

Attachments

• Kleppner2.9.png
    Kleppner2.9.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 1,164
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
:thumbs: It all looks good to me.

Likes 1 person
TSny said:
:thumbs: It all looks good to me.
Great, thanks!

Related to Masses on table - Acceleration of Connected Objects

1. What is the concept of mass in Kleppner's Mass and Pulleys?

The concept of mass in Kleppner's Mass and Pulleys refers to the measure of the amount of matter in an object. It is usually measured in kilograms (kg) and is a fundamental property of objects that determines their resistance to acceleration.

2. How does Kleppner's Mass and Pulleys explain the concept of pulleys?

Kleppner's Mass and Pulleys explains that a pulley is a simple machine consisting of a grooved wheel that can rotate freely around an axle. It is used to change the direction of a force applied to a rope or cable, thereby making it easier to lift heavy objects.

3. What is the equation for calculating the tension in a rope or cable in Kleppner's Mass and Pulleys?

The equation for calculating the tension in a rope or cable in Kleppner's Mass and Pulleys is T = m*a, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object being lifted, and a is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation applies to a single mass connected to a pulley system.

4. How does Kleppner's Mass and Pulleys explain the concept of mechanical advantage?

Kleppner's Mass and Pulleys explains that mechanical advantage is a measure of the force amplification achieved by using a machine, such as a pulley. It is calculated by dividing the output force by the input force. In a pulley system, the mechanical advantage is equal to the number of ropes supporting the object being lifted.

5. How does Kleppner's Mass and Pulleys apply to real-life situations?

Kleppner's Mass and Pulleys can be applied to real-life situations, such as lifting heavy objects using a crane or hoist. It can also be used in understanding the mechanics of exercise equipment, such as weightlifting machines. Additionally, the concept of pulleys can be applied to sailing, rock climbing, and other activities that involve the use of ropes and cables.