1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lab Related Question

1. Jun 19, 2007 #1
    Hi,

We have been working on a lab that dealt with oscillations and simple harmonic motion. We attached two springs to an air cart, placed it on an air track, and released a distance of 10cm from the equilibirum point. To investigate the relationship between mass and the period, we added 50 g masses to the cart and performed various trials and timed the period.

We then were instructed to graph the m vs T^2 with m being the total mass and T^2 being the time of the period squared. My question is, what does the slope of this line represent. The line increases linerly, and i believe that the relevant equation is
    T of period = 2pi SwRt(m/k)....or is it k/m...i cant remember right now as I am at work...

but anyways...what could the slope of the line represent....i first thought it might be the spring constant...but I do not belive that is correct anymore...

any ideas would be greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2007 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Remember the equation of a straight line y = ax + b, where m is the gradient or the slope. If y = m and x = T2 then what is a?

Hint: Try rearranging your period equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?