Law of Sines and Law of Cosines help

In summary, the problem involves a triangle with two known angles and one known side. The unknown side can be found using the Law of Sines.
Kimisaishime

Homework Statement

Ok the problem states Station A observes the fire at an angel of 52 and station B spots the fire at an angle of 41. The stations are 17 mi. apart. Find the distance along the line of sight from the fire to the station that is closest to the fire.

I'm confused I don't hink I have enough to do the Law of Cosines, but I also feel that I don't have enough to do the Law of Sines. I am so confused do I need to do something else. Like do I need to use the distance equation along with the the Law of Sines or the Law of Cosines. Or do I need to do something different entirely.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you need to solve the problem in two different ways? I see direct possibility for Law Of Sines.

Your problem description conforms to a triangle, base points A and B. AB is 11 miles; Angle at B is 41 degrees; angle at A is 128 degrees (do you see why?); the angle opposite AB is 11 degrees (now, do you see why this too?)

You know all three angles and you know only one side (AB); you just want to know the the side that goes from the point opposite of AB to the point A.

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your problem. It seems like you have a good understanding of the Law of Sines and Law of Cosines, but you're not sure which one to use in this situation. Let me try to break it down for you.

First, let's start by drawing a diagram to visualize the problem. We have Station A and Station B, which are 17 miles apart, and they are both observing a fire at different angles. The distance from the fire to each station is what we are trying to find. So, we can label the distance from the fire to Station A as x and the distance from the fire to Station B as y.

Next, let's think about what information we have and what we are trying to find. We know the angles at each station, but we don't know the side lengths. This means we can use the Law of Sines to solve for the side lengths. However, we also have the distance between the two stations, which we can use to set up a relationship between x and y. This is where we can use the Law of Cosines.

So, to summarize, we can use the Law of Sines to solve for x and y, and then we can use the Law of Cosines to relate x and y to the 17 miles between the two stations. This will give us enough information to solve for the distance along the line of sight from the fire to the station that is closest to the fire.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Keep practicing and you'll become more comfortable with using these equations in different situations. Good luck with your homework!

What is the Law of Sines?

The Law of Sines is a mathematical law that relates the sides and angles of a non-right triangle. It states that the ratio of the sine of an angle to the length of the side opposite that angle is equal to the ratio of the sine of another angle to the length of the side opposite that angle.

What is the Law of Cosines?

The Law of Cosines is a mathematical law that also relates the sides and angles of a non-right triangle. It states that the square of one side of a triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides minus twice the product of the two sides and the cosine of the angle between them.

How do I use the Law of Sines and Law of Cosines?

The Law of Sines and Law of Cosines can be used to solve for missing sides or angles in a non-right triangle. To use the Law of Sines, you need to know at least two angles and the length of one side. To use the Law of Cosines, you need to know the length of all three sides or two sides and the included angle.

When should I use the Law of Sines and when should I use the Law of Cosines?

The Law of Sines is typically used when you have two angles and one side, while the Law of Cosines is used when you have all three sides or two sides and the included angle. If you are unsure which law to use, try using both and see which one gives you a more accurate answer.

Are there any limitations to using the Law of Sines and Law of Cosines?

Yes, both laws can only be used to solve for missing sides or angles in a non-right triangle. They cannot be used for right triangles. Additionally, the Law of Sines can only be used when the triangle satisfies the Angle-Angle-Side condition, while the Law of Cosines can only be used when the triangle satisfies the Side-Side-Side or Side-Angle-Side condition.