1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Law of Sines and Law of Cosines help

1. Apr 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ok the problem states Station A observes the fire at an angel of 52 and station B spots the fire at an angle of 41. The stations are 17 mi. apart. Find the distance along the line of sight from the fire to the station that is closest to the fire.

I'm confused I don't hink I have enough to do the Law of Cosines, but I also feel that I don't have enough to do the Law of Sines. I am so confused do I need to do something else. Like do I need to use the distance equation along with the the Law of Sines or the Law of Cosines. Or do I need to do something different entirely.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2007 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you need to solve the problem in two different ways? I see direct possibility for Law Of Sines.

Your problem description conforms to a triangle, base points A and B. AB is 11 miles; Angle at B is 41 degrees; angle at A is 128 degrees (do you see why?); the angle opposite AB is 11 degrees (now, do you see why this too?)

You know all three angles and you know only one side (AB); you just want to know the the side that goes from the point opposite of AB to the point A.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?