What Angle Does Light Emerge from a Prism?

In summary, the light ray is incident onto a prism with an index of refraction of 1.5 and surrounded by air. The refracted ray emerges from the second face of the prism at an angle of 49.47 degrees with the normal to the right side of the triangle, which is off by 30 degrees from the desired angle of 47 degrees with respect to the horizontal.
OhBoy

Homework Statement

A light ray traveling in the horizontal direction is incident onto a prism as shown in the figure. At what angle relative to horizontal does the light ray emerge from the second face of the shown prism if the prism has an index of refraction of 1.5 and is surrounded by air? The cross section of the prism is in the shape of an equilateral triangle.

Homework Equations

Snells Law.

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, if the light is heading into the left side of the triangle, then the angle it makes with the normal is 30 degrees since the angle the ray to the left side of the triangle would be 60 degrees. That means the refracted ray will make 19.47 degrees with the normal inside the prism. Now, I believe I should do 90 - 19.47 to get the angle that will make a triangle to connect me to the right side of the prism. Then I can do 180-(90-19.47)-60 = 30+19.47 which gets me 49.47 degrees. Now I need the angle normal to the right side so I do 90-49.47 and I get 40.53 degrees. Snells law tells me that the refracted ray on the right side should be arcsin(1.5*sin(40.53)), which is about 77 degrees. This answer is off by 30 degrees for some reason. The answer is 47 degrees but I get 77 degrees.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a rough sketch and see whether the refracted ray is meeting the opposite face of the prism or which face of the prism! Check the angle of 49.47 you have got is between refracted ray and which face of prism. Just do not play with numbers visualize what is happening.

Let'sthink said:
Draw a rough sketch and see whether the refracted ray is meeting the opposite face of the prism or which face of the prism! Check the angle of 49.47 you have got is between refracted ray and which face of prism. Just do not play with numbers visualize what is happening.

There's a ray of light going right on the triangle's left face horizontally. It is then refracted downwards and hits the right face. It is then further refracted downwards. The 49.47 degrees should be the angle between the ray of light and the right side of the triangle.

OhBoy said:
Snells law tells me that the refracted ray on the right side should be arcsin(1.5*sin(40.53)), which is about 77 degrees. This answer is off by 30 degrees for some reason. The answer is 47 degrees but I get 77 degrees.
That would be with respect to the local normal to the prism. What's the normal's angle with respect to the horizontal? (You were asked for the ray's angle with respect to the horizontal).

Likes OhBoy
gneill said:
That would be with respect to the local normal to the prism. What's the normal's angle with respect to the horizontal? (You were asked for the ray's angle with respect to the horizontal).

Aha! Thank you! The being off by 30 degrees should of really gave it away. Thanks again for your help :)

1. What is a prism?

A prism is a transparent object with flat sides that can refract (or bend) light, splitting it into its component colors.

2. How does a prism work?

When light enters a prism, it slows down and bends due to the change in density. This causes the different colors of light to bend at different angles, resulting in the separation of the colors.

3. Why does light split into different colors in a prism?

Light is made up of a spectrum of colors with different wavelengths. When light enters a prism, these wavelengths are separated because each color has a different refractive index and bends at a different angle.

4. What is the order of colors in a prism?

The order of colors in a prism is typically red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet, with red having the longest wavelength and violet having the shortest wavelength.

5. Can a prism change the color of light?

No, a prism does not change the color of light. It only separates the different colors that are already present in white light.