Limits of Integration for y=x^2, Bounded by x=1 and y=1, First Quadrant

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving integration by starting with y first and x first. The key point is that when using double integration, the limits of the outer integral must be constants. This is important to keep in mind when finding the area of a bounded region.
dalarev

Homework Statement

Given y=x^2 , bounded by the line x=1 and y=1, first quadrant. Fairly simple problem.

Homework Equations

Solving for integration by y first...say, [tex]\int[/tex][[tex]\int[/tex]dy]dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved this problem, integrating by x first and y first. I'm having trouble with a more difficult, yet similar, problem but I feel I should get this fundamental doubt out of the way first.

Integrating by y first, we get the limits of integration from y=x^2 to y=1 . This is rather clear, looking at the graph. The x integration, however, is where I get confused. I would've thought that the limits of x would be from x=0 to x=[tex]\sqrt{y}[/tex] because in reality, if you follow the graph, much like we did for the y limits, those are the boundaries x is confined to. The correct x limits, however, are from x=0 to x=1. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Starting with y first, we describe the region as being bounded between y=x^2 and y=1, but only the part between x=0 and x=1.

If we instead start with x first, we describe the region as being bounded between [tex]x=0[/tex] and [tex]x=\sqrt{y}[/tex], but only the part between y=0 and y=1.

benorin said:
Starting with y first, we describe the region as being bounded between y=x^2 and y=1, but only the part between x=0 and x=1.

If we instead start with x first, we describe the region as being bounded between [tex]x=0[/tex] and [tex]x=\sqrt{y}[/tex], but only the part between y=0 and y=1.

So you mean..starting with y, we think of y as the function part, the dominating part, and x only as the boundaries. When starting with x, x is the boss, the function. y is just the limits, from here to here.

dalarev said:

Homework Statement

Given y=x^2 , bounded by the line x=1 and y=1, first quadrant. Fairly simple problem.
On the contrary, it is not a problem at all! I might assume that you forgot to say "find the area" but even so, there is no region bounded by y= x2, x= 1, and y= 1. There is a region bounded by y= x2 and y= 1. There is another region bounded by y= x2, y= 0, and x= 1. Which do you mean?

Homework Equations

Solving for integration by y first...say, [tex]\int[/tex][[tex]\int[/tex]dy]dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved this problem, integrating by x first and y first. I'm having trouble with a more difficult, yet similar, problem but I feel I should get this fundamental doubt out of the way first.

Integrating by y first, we get the limits of integration from y=x^2 to y=1 . This is rather clear, looking at the graph. The x integration, however, is where I get confused. I would've thought that the limits of x would be from x=0 to x=[tex]\sqrt{y}[/tex] because in reality, if you follow the graph, much like we did for the y limits, those are the boundaries x is confined to. The correct x limits, however, are from x=0 to x=1. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
If the problem is to find the area of the region bounded by y= x2 and y= 1, by double integration, using "dy" first, so that the "outer integral" is with respect to x, remember that the limits on the outer integral must be constants. Looking at a graph of y= x2 and y= 1, x must range from -1 to 1. Now, for each x, y must range from the graph of y= x2 up to the line y= 1. Those are the limits of integration and the integral is
[tex]\int_{x^2}^1 dydx[/tex]

If, however, the region is bounded by y= x2, y= 0, and x= 1, then x ranges from 0 to 1 and, for each x, y ranges from 0 to x2. In that case, the integral is
[tex]\int_0^1\int_{0}^{x^2} dydx[/tex]

Now, what is the region really?

HallsofIvy said:
On the contrary, it is not a problem at all! I might assume that you forgot to say "find the area" but even so, there is no region bounded by y= x2, x= 1, and y= 1. There is a region bounded by y= x2 and y= 1. There is another region bounded by y= x2, y= 0, and x= 1. Which do you mean?

You're right, the problem was to find the area bounded by y=x^2 and the line y=1, in the first quadrant only.

HallsofIvy said:
If the problem is to find the area of the region bounded by y= x2 and y= 1, by double integration, using "dy" first, so that the "outer integral" is with respect to x, remember that the limits on the outer integral must be constants.

I think this just about sums up the problem. The limits on the outer integral must be constants. I suppose the problem here is that I'm not, or wasn't, convinced that that is a fact, I've never seen it stated as a rule or law. But if that's the case, that just makes it easier!

Thanks for the help.

1. What are limits of integration?

Limits of integration refer to the values that define the boundaries of an integral. They determine the range over which the integral is evaluated.

2. Why are limits of integration important?

Limits of integration are important because they specify the region over which the integral is calculated, and therefore, determine the final result of the integral. They also help to visualize the area under a curve and evaluate complicated integrals.

3. How do you determine the limits of integration?

The limits of integration are determined by the given problem or function. They can be found by identifying the starting and ending points of the integral, which can be defined by specific values or expressions.

4. Can limits of integration be negative?

Yes, limits of integration can be negative. They can represent any real number or expression that defines the boundaries of the integral, including negative values.

5. What happens if the limits of integration are incorrect?

If the limits of integration are incorrect, the result of the integral will also be incorrect. It is important to carefully determine the limits of integration in order to accurately evaluate the integral.