Line from origin with elevation theta in polar form?

In summary, the individual is seeking to convert the equation y = mx to polar form, and has considered using the function r = cos^infinity(theta - c) but finds it cumbersome. They also mention trying to derive another formula, but it results in cancellations. They clarify their preference for the equation to be in r form and mention the possibility of using the equation theta = phi to get a line through the origin.
BlackWyvern

Homework Statement

I need to get y = mx in polar form. I looked at it logically, and I figured I needed a function f(x) that will resolve 0 when x =/= 0, and will resolve 1 when x = 0. I thought for a while, and then realized that sine sort of does that, and just needs a tweak to do it exactly:

[tex] r = cos^\infty(\theta - c) [/tex]

But this function, although great, is cumbersome. I can't find any other formulas, and my attempts to derive one only equal in cancellations on both sides.

Homework Equations

x = rcos(theta)
y = rsin(theta)
m = tan(theta)
Anything else you can think of.

Just to make it clear, I would like it in r form, I know of the [tex]\theta = \varphi[/tex] equation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]r = \lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow 0}} x\sec(\theta-c) \,[/tex]

This also seems to make a line from the origin.

BlackWyvern said:

Homework Statement

I need to get y = mx in polar form. I looked at it logically, and I figured I needed a function f(x) that will resolve 0 when x =/= 0, and will resolve 1 when x = 0. I thought for a while, and then realized that sine sort of does that, and just needs a tweak to do it exactly:

[tex] r = cos^\infty(\theta - c) [/tex]

But this function, although great, is cumbersome. I can't find any other formulas, and my attempts to derive one only equal in y = rsin(theta)
m = tan(theta)
Anything else you can think of.

Just to make it clear, I would like it in r form, I know of the [tex]\theta = \varphi[/tex] equation.
Just as you cannot get a vertical line in y= mx+ b form, you cannot cannot get a line through the origin in [itex]r= f(\theta)[/itex] form. A line through the origin at fixed "angle of elevation" [itex]\phi[/itex] (better not to use [itex]\theta[/itex] for this constant) is [itex]\theta= \phi[/itex]. r, of course, can be number, positive, zero, or negative.

I see, thanks for that.

1. What does the "line from origin" in polar form represent?

The "line from origin" in polar form represents a straight line extending from the center of a polar coordinate system to a specific point on the graph.

2. How is the elevation theta measured in polar form?

The elevation theta in polar form is measured in radians, where 0 radians represents the positive x-axis and pi/2 radians represents the positive y-axis.

3. What does the elevation theta determine in polar form?

The elevation theta determines the angle at which the line from origin intersects with the polar coordinate system. It is also used to determine the direction in which the line is pointing.

4. How is the line from origin with elevation theta graphed in polar form?

The line from origin with elevation theta is graphed by first plotting the point at the specified angle theta from the origin. Then, a straight line is drawn from the origin to that point, representing the line from origin with elevation theta.

5. What happens when the elevation theta is negative in polar form?

When the elevation theta is negative, the line from origin is reflected across the polar coordinate system. This means that the line will point in the opposite direction than it would with a positive elevation theta.