Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line in vs Microphone in Windows

1. Nov 13, 2005 #1

ahrkron

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

"Line in" vs "Microphone" in Windows

Hi all,

I have a PC with windows XP in which I regularly use Skype (which allows you to make phone calls). The computer has both a MIC and LINE IN entries, but only the MIC is "heard" by windows. Is there a way to configure it so that it listens to LINE IN instead? does that make sense? (maybe I want it to function in a way it is not supposed to?)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2005 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Are you planning on hooking up a mic to line in? I mean, sure you could use it, just unmute it.

4. Nov 13, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Windows can "hear" line in as well. The thing is that windows can only "listen" to one port at a time. If you go to your volume properies thing in the taskbar and switch over to the Recording dials, you will notice everything has a "Select" button under neath. Whichever one is checked is the one that windows is currently "listening to".

5. Nov 14, 2005 #4

ahrkron

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Thanks guys, but I tried that and it does not work. For some reason, when I make the call, the Line In is unselected automatically, and the mic is re-selected. Can I stop that from happening?

6. Nov 14, 2005 #5

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ahh,,,, Another case of Uncle Bill knows best!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?