Line Integral Problem: Evaluating F(x,y) on Lower Half of Unit Circle

In summary, the student was trying to find a function that would give F=\nablaf, but could not seem to get past the part where they took the derivative with respect to y.
Mr Noblet

Homework Statement

Let F=x[tex]^{2}[/tex]i+2xyj, and let C be the lower half of the unit circle, with perametrization r(t)=<cos(t),sin(t)>,[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\leq[/tex]t[tex]\leq[/tex][tex]\pi[/tex]. Evaluate [tex]\oint[/tex]F[tex]\cdot[/tex]dr.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I tried to do was to find a function f(x,y) so that F=[tex]\nabla[/tex]f

In order to do this I integrated the i portion of F with respect to x which gave me f(x,y)=[tex]\frac{1}{3}[/tex]x[tex]^{3}[/tex]+g(y).

Then to find out what g was I took the derivative with respect to y which just left me with g'(y). I could not think of how to get past this part. I tried doing it with the j first as well in which I first take the integral of the j part of F with respect to y and then the derivative with respect to x. This left me with f[tex]_{x}[/tex](x,y)=y[tex]^{2}[/tex]+f'(x).

Basically I was trying to use the Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals but I could not find a function f(x,y) so that F=[tex]\nabla[/tex]f. Help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not necessarily the case that F is the gradient of anything. If if happens to be, then the line integral is independent of the path, which makes it particularly easy; but if not, then you just have to do the integral.

Mr Noblet said:

Homework Statement

Let F=x[tex]^{2}[/tex]i+2xyj, and let C be the lower half of the unit circle, with perametrization r(t)=<cos(t),sin(t)>,[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\leq[/tex]t[tex]\leq[/tex][tex]\pi[/tex].
Do you mean [itex]-\pi\le x\le 0[/itex]? Or [itex]\pi\le x\le 2\pi[/itex] which would work just as well.

Evaluate [tex]\oint[/tex]F[tex]\cdot[/tex]dr.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I tried to do was to find a function f(x,y) so that F=[tex]\nabla[/tex]f

In order to do this I integrated the i portion of F with respect to x which gave me f(x,y)=[tex]\frac{1}{3}[/tex]x[tex]^{3}[/tex]+g(y).

Then to find out what g was I took the derivative with respect to y which just left me with g'(y). I could not think of how to get past this part. I tried doing it with the j first as well in which I first take the integral of the j part of F with respect to y and then the derivative with respect to x. This left me with f[tex]_{x}[/tex](x,y)=y[tex]^{2}[/tex]+f'(x).

Basically I was trying to use the Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals but I could not find a function f(x,y) so that F=[tex]\nabla[/tex]f. Help would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]
You can't find such an f because [itex]x^2 dx+ 2xy dy[/itex] is not an exact differential: [itex](x^2)_y= 0[/itex] while [itex](2xy)_x[/itex]= 2y. Since those are not the same, there is no F such that grad F= [itex]x^2\vec{i}+ 2xy\vec{j}[/itex]

With x= cos(t) and y= sin(t), dx= -sin(t)dt and dy= cos(t)dt [itex]x^2 dx+ 2xy dy= cos^2(t)(-sint dt)+ 2cos(t)sin(t)(cos(t) dt)= cos^2(t) sin(t) dt. It should be easy to integrate that directly.

What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral in multivariable calculus that involves calculating the area under a curve in a specific direction along a given path.

What is the "lower half of the unit circle"?

The lower half of the unit circle refers to the region on the xy-plane that lies below the unit circle, which is a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the origin.

Why is the unit circle used in this line integral problem?

The unit circle is commonly used in line integral problems because it has a simple and well-defined shape that makes it easier to calculate and evaluate integrals.

What is the purpose of evaluating F(x,y) on the lower half of the unit circle?

Evaluating F(x,y) on the lower half of the unit circle allows us to find the value of the line integral in a specific region, which can be useful in solving various physical and mathematical problems.

What are some real-life applications of line integrals?

Line integrals have many real-life applications, such as in physics to calculate work and electric fields, in engineering to find the center of mass and moment of inertia, and in economics to determine economic measures such as GDP and national income.