1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line integral problem

1. Dec 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let F=x[tex]^{2}[/tex]i+2xyj, and let C be the lower half of the unit circle, with perametrization r(t)=<cos(t),sin(t)>,[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\leq[/tex]t[tex]\leq[/tex][tex]\pi[/tex]. Evaluate [tex]\oint[/tex]F[tex]\cdot[/tex]dr.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The first thing I tried to do was to find a function f(x,y) so that F=[tex]\nabla[/tex]f

In order to do this I integrated the i portion of F with respect to x which gave me f(x,y)=[tex]\frac{1}{3}[/tex]x[tex]^{3}[/tex]+g(y).

Then to find out what g was I took the derivative with respect to y which just left me with g'(y). I could not think of how to get past this part. I tried doing it with the j first as well in which I first take the integral of the j part of F with respect to y and then the derivative with respect to x. This left me with f[tex]_{x}[/tex](x,y)=y[tex]^{2}[/tex]+f'(x).

Basically I was trying to use the Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals but I could not find a function f(x,y) so that F=[tex]\nabla[/tex]f. Help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2007 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

It's not necessarily the case that F is the gradient of anything. If if happens to be, then the line integral is independent of the path, which makes it particularly easy; but if not, then you just have to do the integral.

4. Dec 12, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you mean [itex]-\pi\le x\le 0[/itex]? Or [itex]\pi\le x\le 2\pi[/itex] which would work just as well.

Evaluate [tex]\oint[/tex]F[tex]\cdot[/tex]dr.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The first thing I tried to do was to find a function f(x,y) so that F=[tex]\nabla[/tex]f

In order to do this I integrated the i portion of F with respect to x which gave me f(x,y)=[tex]\frac{1}{3}[/tex]x[tex]^{3}[/tex]+g(y).

Then to find out what g was I took the derivative with respect to y which just left me with g'(y). I could not think of how to get past this part. I tried doing it with the j first as well in which I first take the integral of the j part of F with respect to y and then the derivative with respect to x. This left me with f[tex]_{x}[/tex](x,y)=y[tex]^{2}[/tex]+f'(x).

Basically I was trying to use the Fundamental Theorem of Line Integrals but I could not find a function f(x,y) so that F=[tex]\nabla[/tex]f. Help would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]
    You can't find such an f because [itex]x^2 dx+ 2xy dy[/itex] is not an exact differential: [itex](x^2)_y= 0[/itex] while [itex](2xy)_x[/itex]= 2y. Since those are not the same, there is no F such that grad F= [itex]x^2\vec{i}+ 2xy\vec{j}[/itex]

With x= cos(t) and y= sin(t), dx= -sin(t)dt and dy= cos(t)dt [itex]x^2 dx+ 2xy dy= cos^2(t)(-sint dt)+ 2cos(t)sin(t)(cos(t) dt)= cos^2(t) sin(t) dt. It should be easy to integrate that directly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?