Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Linear Algebra, subspaces

1. Jun 11, 2008 #1
    There are more answers to this problem, but I'm not sure how to approach it.

The subspaces of [tex]R^3[/tex] are planes, lines, [tex]R^3[/tex] itself, or Z containing only (0,0,0,0).

b. Describe the five type of subspaces of [tex]R^4[/tex]

i. lines thru (0,0,0,0)
    ii. zero (0,0,0,0)

iii. planes thru (0,0,0,0)
    What do you mean by planes? Are you assuming 2 dimensional sets as is usual with planes?

iv. itself, [tex]R^4[/tex]

What's the 5th?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

There are more answers to this problem, but I'm not sure how to approach it.

The subspaces of [tex]R^3[/tex] are planes[/quote]
    Planes containing the origin
    Lines through the origin
    caution: Z is typically used to mean the set of integers. Here, I guess you mean "the set containing only (0, 0, 0)". (NOT (0,0,0,0)!)

More correctly, the set containing only the zero vector.

What do you mean by planes? Are you assuming 2 dimensional sets as is usual with planes?

Look at number iii again. You have incorporated two different "kinds" of subspace there.
    (R4 is 4 dimensional. Think of your five kinds of subspace as: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4.)

4. Jun 14, 2008 #3
    So I have planes in R^4. But I also have planes in R^2 and R^3 passing thru (0,0,0,0) that are contained in R^4. Lastly, R^4, itself.

5. Jun 15, 2008 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't make sense to talk of a plane in R^3 being contained in R^4 as if that were a well defined object. Even if we identify a copy of R^3 sitting inside R^4, any plane in R^3 is still a plane in R^4 so you just counted it when you specified the set of planes (passing through the origin). Also, R^2 contains only one 2-dimensional subspace - itself.

Doing it in coords, isn't the set of things (x,y,z,0) a subspace of R^4? What is its dimension?

6. Jun 15, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Once again what do you mean by "planes"? How is a "plane in R^2" different from a "plane in R^3" or a "plane in R^4"?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook