1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra, subspaces

1. Jun 11, 2008 #1
    There are more answers to this problem, but I'm not sure how to approach it.

The subspaces of [tex]R^3[/tex] are planes, lines, [tex]R^3[/tex] itself, or Z containing only (0,0,0,0).

b. Describe the five type of subspaces of [tex]R^4[/tex]

i. lines thru (0,0,0,0)
    ii. zero (0,0,0,0)

iii. planes thru (0,0,0,0)
    What do you mean by planes? Are you assuming 2 dimensional sets as is usual with planes?

iv. itself, [tex]R^4[/tex]

What's the 5th?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There are more answers to this problem, but I'm not sure how to approach it.

The subspaces of [tex]R^3[/tex] are planes[/quote]
    Planes containing the origin
    Lines through the origin
    caution: Z is typically used to mean the set of integers. Here, I guess you mean "the set containing only (0, 0, 0)". (NOT (0,0,0,0)!)

More correctly, the set containing only the zero vector.

What do you mean by planes? Are you assuming 2 dimensional sets as is usual with planes?

Look at number iii again. You have incorporated two different "kinds" of subspace there.
    (R4 is 4 dimensional. Think of your five kinds of subspace as: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4.)

4. Jun 14, 2008 #3
    So I have planes in R^4. But I also have planes in R^2 and R^3 passing thru (0,0,0,0) that are contained in R^4. Lastly, R^4, itself.

5. Jun 15, 2008 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't make sense to talk of a plane in R^3 being contained in R^4 as if that were a well defined object. Even if we identify a copy of R^3 sitting inside R^4, any plane in R^3 is still a plane in R^4 so you just counted it when you specified the set of planes (passing through the origin). Also, R^2 contains only one 2-dimensional subspace - itself.

Doing it in coords, isn't the set of things (x,y,z,0) a subspace of R^4? What is its dimension?

6. Jun 15, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Once again what do you mean by "planes"? How is a "plane in R^2" different from a "plane in R^3" or a "plane in R^4"?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?