What are the types of subspaces in R^4?

In summary, there are five types of subspaces in R^4: the zero vector, lines through the origin, planes through the origin, R^4 itself, and planes contained in R^4 that pass through the origin.
rocomath
There are more answers to this problem, but I'm not sure how to approach it.

The subspaces of [tex]R^3[/tex] are planes, lines, [tex]R^3[/tex] itself, or Z containing only (0,0,0,0).

b. Describe the five type of subspaces of [tex]R^4[/tex]

i. lines thru (0,0,0,0)
ii. zero (0,0,0,0)

iii. planes thru (0,0,0,0)
What do you mean by planes? Are you assuming 2 dimensional sets as is usual with planes?

iv. itself, [tex]R^4[/tex]

What's the 5th?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are more answers to this problem, but I'm not sure how to approach it.

The subspaces of [tex]R^3[/tex] are planes[/quote]
Planes containing the origin
, lines
Lines through the origin
, [tex]R^3[/tex] itself, or Z containing only (0,0,0,0).
caution: Z is typically used to mean the set of integers. Here, I guess you mean "the set containing only (0, 0, 0)". (NOT (0,0,0,0)!)

b. Describe the five type of subspaces of [tex]R^4[/tex]

i. lines thru (0,0,0,0)
ii. zero (0,0,0,0)
More correctly, the set containing only the zero vector.

What do you mean by planes? Are you assuming 2 dimensional sets as is usual with planes?

iv. itself, [tex]R^4[/tex]

What's the 5th?

Look at number iii again. You have incorporated two different "kinds" of subspace there.
(R4 is 4 dimensional. Think of your five kinds of subspace as: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4.)

HallsofIvy said:
Look at number iii again. You have incorporated two different "kinds" of subspace there.
(R4 is 4 dimensional. Think of your five kinds of subspace as: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4.)

iv. itself, Click to see the LaTeX code for this image

What's the 5th?
So I have planes in R^4. But I also have planes in R^2 and R^3 passing thru (0,0,0,0) that are contained in R^4. Lastly, R^4, itself.

It doesn't make sense to talk of a plane in R^3 being contained in R^4 as if that were a well defined object. Even if we identify a copy of R^3 sitting inside R^4, any plane in R^3 is still a plane in R^4 so you just counted it when you specified the set of planes (passing through the origin). Also, R^2 contains only one 2-dimensional subspace - itself.

Doing it in coords, isn't the set of things (x,y,z,0) a subspace of R^4? What is its dimension?

rocomath said:
So I have planes in R^4. But I also have planes in R^2 and R^3 passing thru (0,0,0,0) that are contained in R^4. Lastly, R^4, itself.

Once again what do you mean by "planes"? How is a "plane in R^2" different from a "plane in R^3" or a "plane in R^4"?

1. What is a subspace in linear algebra?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies the three main properties of a vector space - closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector. In simpler terms, it is a smaller space within a larger space that still follows the rules of a vector space.

2. How do you determine if a set of vectors form a subspace?

To determine if a set of vectors form a subspace, we check if the set satisfies the three main properties of a vector space - closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector. If all three properties are satisfied, then the set is a subspace.

3. What is the difference between a spanning set and a basis in linear algebra?

A spanning set is a set of vectors that can be used to create any vector in a given vector space through linear combinations. A basis, on the other hand, is a specific type of spanning set that is also linearly independent, meaning that none of the vectors can be written as a linear combination of the others. In simpler terms, a basis provides a minimal set of vectors that can still create any vector in a vector space.

4. Can a subspace have infinitely many dimensions?

Yes, a subspace can have infinitely many dimensions. For example, the set of all polynomials of degree n or less forms a subspace of the vector space of all polynomials, and as n approaches infinity, the dimension of this subspace also approaches infinity.

5. How is linear independence related to subspaces?

Linear independence is a key factor in determining if a set of vectors forms a subspace. If a set of vectors is linearly independent, then it can form a basis for a subspace. Additionally, a subspace must have a basis that is linearly independent.