Calculate Horizontal Distance of Particle at Linear Speed Rolling

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the horizontal distance of a point on the rim of a wheel with radius R under pure rolling, given its absolute ground speed and angular speed of rotation. The conversation also clarifies the concept of the instantaneous axis and its relation to the problem.
sachin123

Homework Statement

A point on the rim of the wheel of radius R under pure rolling has absolute ground speed of (v root 2) or v*(2)^(1/2).the angular speed of rotation is ω.
At what horizontal distance from the instantaneous axis of the rim is the particle located?

Homework Equations

absolute ground speed means linear speed right?

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know how absolute ground speed varies with height.
Can someone please tell me how I must start with the problem?What is the idea?
Thank You.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How fast does a point on the rim move with respect to the center of the wheel? How fast does the center of the wheel move with respect to the ground? Hint: Add those vectors.

I tried it with your method like this.
As seen from the diagram I uploaded,
the horizontal component of Rω (speed of particle)is taken in terms of theta.
Then v + Rω sin (theta) =v*(2)^(1/2).
I found theta and then found the required distance.
But that doesn't match with the answer given.
Am I wrong somewhere?(actual answer is R *root 2).

Attachments

• Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 322
sachin123 said:
I tried it with your method like this.
As seen from the diagram I uploaded,
the horizontal component of Rω (speed of particle)is taken in terms of theta.
Then v + Rω sin (theta) =v*(2)^(1/2).
Why are you only considering the horizontal component? It's the total velocity that must equal v*(2)^(1/2).

Okay.
I took the whole vector and added it.I get the answer as R.It seems right as the particle at the side will have a velocity v upward and v sideways.
But still,the answer is supposed to be R root 2,which confuses me even further,as the radius of the rim is only R!Am I missing something big?

sachin123 said:
Okay.
I took the whole vector and added it.I get the answer as R.It seems right as the particle at the side will have a velocity v upward and v sideways.
I would agree with that.
But still,the answer is supposed to be R root 2,which confuses me even further,as the radius of the rim is only R!Am I missing something big?
Hmm... Did you post the question word for word exactly as given? (If it's from a textbook, which one?)

Here it is word for word:

A point on the rim of the wheel of radius R under pure rolling has absolute ground speed of (v root 2) or v*(2)^(1/2).the angular speed of rotation is ω.
It is 'x' distance away from the instantaneous axis .Find x.

yes I made some errors while writing it here,BUT what of it?
It shouldn't make any difference no? :redface:

(from an assignment,no textbook)

sachin123 said:
It is 'x' distance away from the instantaneous axis .Find x.
Where's the instantaneous axis? Find the distance from that axis to the point on the rim. (Nothing to do with 'horizontal', as your original post stated.)

Yes,nothing got to do with horizontal,I'm very sorry.
Isn't the instantaneous axis the one passing through the centre of the rim,into the plane of paper (of my attached diagram)?

sachin123 said:
Isn't the instantaneous axis the one passing through the centre of the rim,into the plane of paper (of my attached diagram)?
No. The instantaneous axis is the axis about which the wheel can be considered to be in pure rotation. The center won't do, since it is translating.

Okay.Thank You Doc Al.I understood.:smile:

Last edited:

What is the formula for calculating the horizontal distance of a particle at linear speed rolling?

The formula for calculating the horizontal distance of a particle at linear speed rolling is: horizontal distance = linear speed x time.

What are the units for the horizontal distance and linear speed in this formula?

The units for the horizontal distance will depend on the units used for linear speed and time. Generally, it could be expressed in meters, feet, kilometers, etc. Linear speed is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

How is this calculation different from calculating the horizontal distance of a particle at constant velocity?

The calculation for the horizontal distance of a particle at linear speed rolling is different from constant velocity because linear speed is the speed at any given moment, while constant velocity is the average speed over a specific time period.

What factors can affect the accuracy of this calculation?

Factors that can affect the accuracy of this calculation include variations in the linear speed of the particle, changes in the surface or terrain that the particle is rolling on, and any external forces acting upon the particle.

How can this calculation be useful in scientific research or real-world applications?

This calculation can be useful in studying the movement of particles in various environments, such as in physics experiments or in the design of machinery that involves rolling objects. It can also be applied in real-world scenarios, such as predicting the distance a ball will travel when rolled at a certain speed or calculating the trajectory of a rolling object for sports or engineering purposes.