Load backup from one computer to another?

In summary, it seems that you can transfer files and settings from one computer to another using Windows 7 backup utility, but there may be some limitations. It is also possible to transfer files between two systems using a router and Windows 7's version of "My Network Places". However, there may be some issues with short file names being reassigned. If using a cable modem and switcher or hub, it can act as a local router and support up to 16 computers.
gotem3303
If I made a backup using Windows 7 backup utility of my computer, would I be able to load that backup onto a different computer running the same version of Windows 7?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I bet it'll ask for more money...

no, but you should be able to retrieve files from the backup; windows uses a registry (proprietary database) that will likely be different on different hardware

gotem3303 said:
If I made a backup using Windows 7 backup utility of my computer, would I be able to load that backup onto a different computer running the same version of Windows 7?

It looks like you can transfer at least some of your files and settings from one computer to another. You might want to look at this link, it might help you figure out what windows 7 can and cannot backup.
http://lifehacker.com/5144757/first-look-at-windows-7s-backup-and-restore-center

cool, thanks for the link!

If you have a router, and the two systems are connected to the router, you should be able to tranfer folders and files between the two systems, using Windows 7 version of XP "My Network Places". The only issue is that the "short file names" would be reassigned on the new computer instead of being transferrred, but this is normally not an issue.

Note that if you have a cable modem and a switcher or hub, if you disconnect the coax cable from the cable modem and power cycle the cable modem, it will act as a local router to any computer connected to the cable modem connected through the switcher or hub. Most cable modems support up to 16 computers (allowing separate external ip's if you ISP provides this service).

Related to Load backup from one computer to another?

1. How do I transfer a backup from one computer to another?

The process of transferring a backup from one computer to another depends on the method of backup used. If you have a physical backup, such as an external hard drive or USB drive, you can simply plug it into the new computer and copy the files over. If you have a cloud-based backup, you can log into the same account on the new computer and download the backup files.

2. Can I transfer a backup from a Mac to a PC or vice versa?

In most cases, yes. However, some backup software may be specific to either Mac or PC, so it's important to check compatibility before transferring the backup. Additionally, make sure the new computer has the necessary software or applications to read and open the backup files.

3. How long does it take to transfer a backup from one computer to another?

The time it takes to transfer a backup depends on the size of the backup and the speed of your transfer method. For example, transferring a backup through a USB drive may be faster than transferring it through a cloud-based service. The transfer speed may also be affected by the internet connection or the hardware of the computers.

4. Will transferring a backup delete the files on my new computer?

No, transferring a backup from one computer to another will not delete any files on the new computer. The backup files will simply be added to the existing files on the new computer. However, it's always a good idea to back up your new computer before transferring a backup, just in case.

5. Can I transfer a backup from an older computer to a newer one?

Yes, you can transfer a backup from an older computer to a newer one. However, if the backup is from a significantly older computer, the files may not be compatible with the newer computer's operating system or software. In this case, you may need to upgrade the software or use a different transfer method.