1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Load Line in Electronics

1. May 20, 2006 #1
    Hey everyone,

I need some help here.......

My question is:

When a variable load is applied to a real source , explain the concept of a load line?? This is the load line in electronics...can someone please help me out with it.....i cant seem to find a decent link on this topic...

Any help would be great...

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2006 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. May 22, 2006 #3
    hey tom

thanks for replying,

i am talking about the link you gave me.....can u please explain it to me as according to my question if you dont mind....

5. May 22, 2006 #4

Staff: Mentor

The load line shows the V-I characteristic of the circuit, with the variable load being the thing that varies to trace out the line. As Vce in the circuit shown varies from 0 to Vbb, you get more or less current, following the line. So as the transistor in the circuit varies, you get an Ic that varies with Vce. I'm not sure that explanation helps you any more than you already understand -- just think of the load line as the constraint of the external circuit on the element that will be varying....
  6. May 22, 2006 #5
    so does this mean that the load line actually shows how much the circuit or the components can tolerate before it actually burns out or shorts...??
  7. May 22, 2006 #6

Staff: Mentor

It's part of it. For transistor damage, you need to look at the "Safe Operating Area" of the transistor that you're using. You can find this info on the datasheet of most power transistors, for example. It involves load line concepts, and also the concept of time.

I googled load line transistor power +"safe operating area", and got lots of hits. Here's the first one -- pretty nice discussion:

8. May 24, 2006 #7
    I got it.....
    thanks for the link berkeman.....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?