Solving 4-log(3-x)=3: Is -10/3 the Answer?

• Thread starter wat2000
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation 4-log(3-x)=3 and determining the value of x. The correct solution is x = -7, which is found by subtracting 4 from both sides, dividing by -1, and using the inverse property of logarithms to rewrite the equation as 3-x=10. The steps are the same as those used in the precalculus book.
wat2000
4-log(3-x)=3 i got -10/3. is this correct? and if it isn't can someone show me the steps?

Physics news on Phys.org
That isn't what I am getting. What is the base for your logarithm? 10? Show us your steps so we can see what you are doing.

wat2000 said:
4-log(3-x)=3 i got -10/3. is this correct? and if it isn't can someone show me the steps?

In order for this equation to be true, doesn't log(3-x) need to equal 1 ?

Now I am getting x= -7. The way i got that answer is like this. first i subtracted 4 from both sides. this gave me -log(3-x)=-1. Then i divided both sides by -1. This gave me log(3-x)=1. I am not really sure what this next step is but its what they did in the book. It just looks like they took the parentheses away from the 3-x and divided by base 10 or something, anyway this step makes the problem look like this: 3-x=10^1. Then i subtract 3 from both sides this gives me -x=7 I divide by -1 and this gives me x = -7. is this right? If its not where am i going wrong?These are the same steps the my precalc book use.

x = -7 is correct.
The step after log(3 - x) = 1 is not division. It uses the idea that the log function (base 10 in this case) is the inverse of the exponential function (10x in this case).

In symbols, this is log(x) = y <==> x = 10y

log(3 - x) = 1
<==> 3 - x = 101

or 3 - x = 10, so x = -7

Thanks I appreciate the help.

Related to Solving 4-log(3-x)=3: Is -10/3 the Answer?

1. What does the equation "4-log(3-x)=3" mean?

The equation is asking for the value of x that would make the logarithmic expression equal to 3. The 4 in front of the logarithm means that the base of the logarithm is 10. The minus sign in the parentheses means that the expression inside the logarithm should be subtracted from 3.

2. Why is -10/3 a potential solution for this equation?

-10/3 is a potential solution because when it is substituted for x in the equation, the logarithmic expression becomes 4-log(3-(-10/3)) which simplifies to 4-log(13/3) which is equal to 3.

3. Are there any other potential solutions besides -10/3?

Yes, there may be other potential solutions. However, it is not possible to determine them without further information about the context of the equation or additional constraints.

4. How can I check if -10/3 is the correct solution?

One way to check if -10/3 is the correct solution is to plug it back into the original equation and see if it results in a true statement. In this case, plugging in -10/3 for x would result in 4-log(3-(-10/3))=3 which simplifies to 4-log(13/3)=3. By using the rules of logarithms, we can further simplify this to 4-log(13)+log(3)=3. Finally, solving for the logarithm results in log(13)=1 which is a true statement, confirming that -10/3 is indeed a solution.

5. Can this equation be solved algebraically?

Yes, this equation can be solved algebraically by using properties of logarithms. In this case, we can use the property that log(a)-log(b)=log(a/b) to simplify the equation to log(13/3)=1. Then, using the definition of logarithms, we can rewrite this as 10^1=13/3. Finally, solving for x results in x=-10/3, confirming our previous solution.