Logic gates and truth table problems

In summary, logic gates are electronic devices that use Boolean logic to perform logical operations on binary inputs and produce a single binary output. There are seven basic types of logic gates, including AND, OR, and NOT, which can be combined to create more complex circuits. A truth table is a table that shows all possible input and output combinations for a logic gate circuit and is used to analyze and troubleshoot these circuits. Logic gates and truth tables are essential tools in the field of electrical engineering and computer science, as they can be used to design and solve real-world problems in various electronic devices.
moenste

Homework Statement

c169c8f91af3.jpg
2. The attempt at a solution
Circuit:
91e7e7e803e9.jpg

A B G D E F C
0 0 1 1 1 1 0
1 1 0 1 0 1 0
0 0 1 1 1 1 0
1 1 0 1 0 1 0Answer:
4a4a394bc57f.jpg

Is (a) right? And any ideas what could be (b)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your A and B columns should show all possible values {00, 01, 10, 11}

The output of the D NAND gate is: A' NAND B = (A' & B)' = D

and the F NAND gate is: A NAND B' = (A & B')'

Likes moenste
jedishrfu said:
Your A and B columns should show all possible values {00, 01, 10, 11}

The output of the D NAND gate is: A' NAND B = (A' & B)' = D

and the F NAND gate is: A NAND B' = (A & B')'
You mean I should have four columns?

A1 0101
A2 1010
B1 0101
B2 1010

Like this?

No, you still have an A and a B column:

Code:
A   B
--  --
0   0
0   1
1   0
1   1

Likes moenste
jedishrfu said:
No, you still have an A and a B column:

Code:
A   B
--  --
0   0
0   1
1   0
1   1
But how did you derive these numbers? My original 0101 in A and B I got from the inverter table. But I don't see how to get the ones you mention.

Your A and B inputs can be any binary value so since you have two inputs you have a possibility of 4 input values to the circuit as shown in the table above.

Likes moenste
jedishrfu said:
Your A and B inputs can be any binary value so since you have two inputs you have a possibility of 4 input values to the circuit as shown in the table above.
I get it now.

So:
Code:
A   B   G   D   E   F   C

0   0   1   1   1   1   0
0   1   1   0   0   1   1
1   0   0   1   1   0   1
1   1   0   1   0   1   0

That's what I got too. The circuit diagram has a symmetry about it which is seen in the truth table.

Likes moenste
jedishrfu said:
That's what I got too. The circuit diagram has a symmetry about it which is seen in the truth table.
But what could be said about (b)? No idea about it.

Look at the A and B inputs and then the C output doesn't that look like some gate you're familiar with?

Likes moenste
I would say the "final" truth table should include only A, B, and C.

Likes moenste
jedishrfu said:
Look at the A and B inputs and then the C output doesn't that look like some gate you're familiar with?
AND has 0001 at output
OR 0111
NOR 1000
NAND 1110
Inverter 10

And I have at output 0110. The input is the same for this circuit and for AND, OR, NOR and NAND.

The truth table for this problem should have three columns - two for A and B inputs, and one for the result C.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes moenste

1. What are logic gates and how do they work?

Logic gates are electronic devices that perform logical operations on one or more binary inputs to produce a single binary output. They work by using Boolean logic, which involves the use of logical operators such as AND, OR, and NOT to manipulate binary signals.

2. What are the different types of logic gates?

There are seven basic types of logic gates: AND, OR, NOT, NAND, NOR, XOR, and XNOR. Each type has a unique function and can be combined to create more complex logical circuits.

3. How do I create a truth table for a logic gate circuit?

A truth table is a table that shows all the possible inputs and their corresponding outputs for a logic gate circuit. To create a truth table, start by listing all the possible combinations of inputs. Then, use the logical operators of the specific gate to determine the output for each input combination.

4. What is the purpose of a truth table in logic gate problems?

The truth table is used to determine the output of a logic gate circuit for all possible input combinations. It helps in analyzing the behavior of the circuit and identifying any errors or inconsistencies in the logic.

5. How can I use logic gates and truth tables to solve real-world problems?

Logic gates and truth tables are essential tools in digital circuits, which are used in various electronic devices, such as computers, smartphones, and calculators. They can be used to design and troubleshoot circuits in these devices, making them integral to the field of electrical engineering and computer science.