Looking for some 2D, 3D-drawing software

In summary, the conversation is about finding software for drawing basic shapes, 3D objects, and loci. Some recommended software include Sketchpad, Adobe Illustrator, CorelDraw, GIMP, and POV-Ray. These software can be expensive, but there are also some open-source options such as vtk, openptc, and ogre3D. The conversation also mentions K3D-Surf as a tool for manipulating objects before rendering them in POV-Ray. The conversation ends with Janus recommending to download the POV-Ray documentation in PDF form for easier reading.
VietDao29
Homework Helper
I wonder if anyone has some nice drawing softwares, that they can recommend me.
I used to draw everything by MS Paint, and it's way too hard for some complicated figure :frown:. And now, I think I must find another way to go about this irritable problem.
I am currently looking for some software that can draw something like triangles, circles, blah... blah... blah... (yeah, just some basic stuff). If it can find the locus of a point, that would be nice.
And I am also looking for some software that helps me draw 3D objects, like a sphere, or stuff...
---------------
I searched on Google for a while, and came across Sketchpad. Is it good? Does anyone here use it?
Thanks, :smile:

Computer science news on Phys.org
Check out POV-Ray, Which you can get at http://www.povray.org" [Broken] as freeware.

Last edited by a moderator:
Software drawing 3d objects is going to be expensive.

vtk,openptc,ogre3D are open source.

You want to look for a vector drawing app *such as* (try to find non-brand name ones :) ) Adobe illustrator or coreldraw (cheaper) for drawing basic shapes. MS paint is a raster (bitmap) program ie: a circle is defined as a number of pixels coloured in such a way that it looks like a circle (thats why they look cr*p when you scale em or rotate em...and they really don't lend themselves to accuracy or intricacy)..In a vector app it is simply a circle of specific size, colour, position etc...

For tasks such as loci, drawing 3D objects etc... you may be far better off looking for a monthly computer mag that has some 5 year old freebie CAD software on it's cover disc (same applies with vector drawing apps). Or find a bookshop that hoards these types of magazines :smile:

*edit* only brand name CAD software I can think of is Autocad...don't know the details but very expensive...3D software can be even more expensive...you're looking at $1,000's for a standard copy of Maya.

Last edited:
2d objects - GIMP is one of the best opensource softwares out there for 2d.

3d objects - Use gmax (its free). To make jpeg images, you could use Print Screen and then paste and cut in Paint, although I am not too sure of the legality of this.

I second POV-Ray as it includes many mathematical functions and can render isosurfaces and parametric objects. The scene help file is beyond complete, going into implementation details as well as explaining what may be obscure ray-tracing terminology to the beginner. Animations, logical loops and common fractals are supported natively as well. The output is as of high quality as you have time to render.
If you want to dynamically manipulate complicated objects before rendering them, you can use one of the many free modellers available for POV-Ray. K3D-Surf is a simple mesh generator for POV-Ray where you can graph in 3D and manipulate the graph in realtime using the mouse or commands before generating the POV-Ray mesh object code.

Last edited:
Thanks guys a lot, :)
However, I still have some more questions.
Janus said:
Check out POV-Ray, Which you can get at http://www.povray.org as freeware.
POV-Ray looks professional, and I have looked at its help files. It's way too big, and I don't really feel like reading it on the computer screen (my eyes won't stand looking at the computer screen for a long time). So I just wonder if anyone have a PDF version of it, or any version that allows me to print everything on paper.
neurocomp2003 said:
vtk,openptc,ogre3D are open source.
I've tried vtk, but I don't know how I can play arround with openptc, and ogre3D. :confused: They somehow do not have an installer... Are they just libraries for programming or something?
GregA said:
You want to look for a vector drawing app *such as* (try to find non-brand name ones :) ) Adobe illustrator or coreldraw (cheaper) for drawing basic shapes. MS paint is a raster (bitmap) program ie: a circle is defined as a number of pixels coloured in such a way that it looks like a circle (thats why they look cr*p when you scale em or rotate em...and they really don't lend themselves to accuracy or intricacy)..In a vector app it is simply a circle of specific size, colour, position etc...
Thanks, I'll check the 2 out :)
*edit* only brand name CAD software I can think of is Autocad...don't know the details but very expensive...3D software can be even more expensive...you're looking at $1,000's for a standard copy of Maya.
Maya looks cool, but it's soooo expensive... :frown:
sid_galt said:
2d objects - GIMP is one of the best opensource softwares out there for 2d.

3d objects - Use gmax (its free). To make jpeg images, you could use Print Screen and then paste and cut in Paint, although I am not too sure of the legality of this.
GIMP looks good, but I don't know why it often crashes. Is it just me, or the programme is malfunction?
hypermorphism said:
If you want to dynamically manipulate complicated objects before rendering them, you can use one of the many free modellers available for POV-Ray. K3D-Surf is a simple mesh generator for POV-Ray where you can graph in 3D and manipulate the graph in realtime using the mouse or commands before generating the POV-Ray mesh object code.
K3D-Surf looks cool. Thanks.
----------------
Thanks, :)

VietDao29 said:
Thanks guys a lot, :)
However, I still have some more questions.

POV-Ray looks professional, and I have looked at its help files. It's way too big, and I don't really feel like reading it on the computer screen (my eyes won't stand looking at the computer screen for a long time). So I just wonder if anyone have a PDF version of it, or any version that allows me to print everything on paper.
----------------
Thanks, :)

Go to http://www.povray.org/download/ and under "Documentation", you can down load the POV-Ray documentation in PDF form.

Janus said:
Go to http://www.povray.org/download/ and under "Documentation", you can down load the POV-Ray documentation in PDF form.
Thanks a lot, Janus. :smile:

You can get a free stripped down version of Alibre here:

http://www.alibre.com/xpress/software/alibre-design-xpress.asp

I haven't had a chance to see how much functionality they take out in the free version yet, but Alibre itself is a professional grade 3D CAD solid modeling program with associative 2D drawing capability (which may be more than you need).

jamesrc said:
You can get a free stripped down version of Alibre here:

http://www.alibre.com/xpress/software/alibre-design-xpress.asp

I haven't had a chance to see how much functionality they take out in the free version yet, but Alibre itself is a professional grade 3D CAD solid modeling program with associative 2D drawing capability (which may be more than you need).
Thanks a lot, :smile:
Alibre looks cool. It's a pity that they only provide a 30-day trial version of it. :frown:

No problem,

I thought that the 30-day trial was for the Professional version. I didn't think there was a time limit or a catch on the Xpress version; I could be wrong though...

jamesrc said:
No problem,

I thought that the 30-day trial was for the Professional version. I didn't think there was a time limit or a catch on the Xpress version; I could be wrong though...
Nah, I was wrong. I've downloaded the Express Edition, and it's 1 year free. Yay!
thanks a lot, jamesrc. :smile:

are you looking for software to use with a 3D interface or software to use that you have to code with...both ptc and ogre are prebuilt graphics libraries and thus you'd have to code them...ogre is used more for game development

if your just looking to draw triangles and circles it rather easy to learn opengl and used there embedded coordinate system provided you know
math. www.libSDL.org[/url], [url]www.ogre3D.org[/URL]...

how did you find vtk?

neurocomp2003 said:
are you looking for software to use with a 3D interface or software to use that you have to code with...both ptc and ogre are prebuilt graphics libraries and thus you'd have to code them...ogre is used more for game development

if your just looking to draw triangles and circles it rather easy to learn opengl and used there embedded coordinate system provided you know
math. www.libSDL.org[/url], [url]www.ogre3D.org[/URL]...

how did you find vtk?[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the information. :) Exactly what I guessed, they are libraries...
Meh, I'm soooo bad at programming. I haven't been able to create anything good with my programming skills! :frown:
I found [url=http://www.vtk.org/]vtk[/url] by doing a bit of Googling. :)

Here is another 3d modeller:

http://www.blender.org/cms/Home.2.0.html [Broken]

dduardo said:
Here is another 3d modeller:

http://www.blender.org/cms/Home.2.0.html [Broken]
Thanks, dduardo. :)

What is 2D and 3D-drawing software?

2D and 3D-drawing software is a computer program that allows users to create two-dimensional or three-dimensional digital drawings. These drawings can be used for a variety of purposes, including illustration, animation, and mechanical design.

What are the benefits of using 2D and 3D-drawing software?

Using 2D and 3D-drawing software can greatly improve the efficiency and accuracy of creating digital drawings. It also allows for easier editing and manipulation of drawings, as well as the ability to add realistic textures and lighting effects.

What are some popular 2D and 3D-drawing software options?

Some popular 2D and 3D-drawing software options include Adobe Photoshop, AutoCAD, SketchUp, and Blender. These programs vary in their features and complexity, so it's important to research and choose the one that best fits your needs.

Do I need any special skills to use 2D and 3D-drawing software?

While some experience with digital drawing and design may be helpful, many 2D and 3D-drawing software programs have user-friendly interfaces and tutorials to guide beginners. With practice and patience, anyone can learn to use these programs effectively.

Is 2D and 3D-drawing software expensive?

The cost of 2D and 3D-drawing software varies depending on the program and its features. Some programs offer free versions or trials, while others may require a one-time purchase or subscription. It's important to research the options and choose the one that fits your budget and needs.