LV electronic ballast failures for halogen

• Thread starter nobledane
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electronic
In summary: This person has three 20 watt halogen light fixtures with three ballasts. All of the ballasts work except for one, which does not work at all when plugged into an outlet. He plugs in an incandescent bulb to see if it works, and it does. He then tries the ballasts at a different, known-good location, but still nothing works. He asks the store if they get many returns on them, and they say they do not.
nobledane
Hi,
At my house i have in wall stair lights that are 20W halogens (x3). A week or so ago i switched on the 2 way switch from the bottom of the stairs and all three went at the same time. I thought it was the bulbs at first but quickly discovered they were fine. My next thought was the electronic ballasts so i pulled out the fitting and checked the AC voltage at the input terminals which measured 250V (note that the rcd/mccb did not trip when they went out) but nothing at the output terminal where there should have been 12V i believe. Hence i thought the ballasts were stuffed so i went and bought 3 new ballasts and put one in.. still nothing on the output side of the new ballast... strange.. so tried another one and still nothing on the output side of the second new ballast.. WHAT IS GOING ON? Scratching my head over this one...

Cheers,

Engineering news on Phys.org
nobledane said:
Hi,
At my house i have in wall stair lights that are 20W halogens (x3). A week or so ago i switched on the 2 way switch from the bottom of the stairs and all three went at the same time. I thought it was the bulbs at first but quickly discovered they were fine. My next thought was the electronic ballasts so i pulled out the fitting and checked the AC voltage at the input terminals which measured 250V (note that the rcd/mccb did not trip when they went out) but nothing at the output terminal where there should have been 12V i believe. Hence i thought the ballasts were stuffed so i went and bought 3 new ballasts and put one in.. still nothing on the output side of the new ballast... strange.. so tried another one and still nothing on the output side of the second new ballast.. WHAT IS GOING ON? Scratching my head over this one...

Cheers,

Do you still measure 250V input when you are trying to run the ballast? If there is a loose wire in the feed line (like at one of the wire nuts), the open circuit voltage could still read 250V, but as soon as you try to draw a load current, it could be dropping to some low value through the resistance of the loose wire fitting...

That would also explain why all 3 went at once.

thanks - but yes there is still 250V when i try and run the ballast.. and it makes a humm as they usually do.. just nothing on the output of 3 different ballasts...

nobledane said:
thanks - but yes there is still 250V when i try and run the ballast.. and it makes a humm as they usually do.. just nothing on the output of 3 different ballasts...

Hmm. That is indeed strange. Can you wire in an incandescent bulb temporarily to see if it works? Can you try the ballasts at a different, known-good location?

Maybe they are just cheap ballasts that break easily? Can you ask the store if they get many returns on them?

1. What is an LV electronic ballast?

An LV (low voltage) electronic ballast is a type of device that regulates the electrical current in a halogen light fixture. It is responsible for controlling the flow of electricity to the halogen bulb, ensuring it receives the correct amount of voltage to function properly.

2. What are some common causes of LV electronic ballast failures for halogen?

Some common causes of LV electronic ballast failures for halogen include power surges, overheating, and age. Poor quality or defective ballasts can also contribute to failures.

3. How can I tell if my LV electronic ballast for halogen is failing?

Signs of a failing LV electronic ballast for halogen may include flickering or dimming lights, buzzing or humming noises, or the bulb not turning on at all. If you notice any of these issues, it may be time to replace the ballast.

4. Can LV electronic ballast failures for halogen be prevented?

While it may not be possible to completely prevent LV electronic ballast failures for halogen, there are some steps you can take to prolong the life of your ballast. These include using surge protectors, keeping the ballast free of dust and debris, and ensuring proper ventilation to prevent overheating.

5. How do I replace a failed LV electronic ballast for halogen?

If you are experienced with electrical work, you can replace the LV electronic ballast for halogen yourself. First, make sure to turn off the power to the light fixture. Then, disconnect the old ballast and connect the new one following the manufacturer's instructions. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with this process, it is best to hire a professional electrician.