1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic dipole

1. Apr 22, 2005 #1
    i recieved this problem from my lecturer

A solenoid is wound with 2200 turns per meter, and carries a current 2.5A. Take the axis of the solenoid to the solenoid to be parallel to the z-axis. A magnetic dipole moment given (m)=(20A.m^2)i+ (30A.m^2)k is located inside the solenoid.

i)how much energy would be required to rotate this magnetic dipole until (m) is parallel to the x-axis?

what i did was to find the magnetic dipole using |m|=sprt(20^2+30^2)= 36A.m^2

then i find the B field to be 6.9x10^-3 k

Uinitial = -(m).B= -(mxBx + myBy + mzBz), where by Bx and By =0 due to the solenoid being // to z-axis = -mzBz = -0.21J

Here is where my problem lies......

i wrote
    Ufinal = -(20i).(6.9x10^-3) = 0 , due to Bx = 0 and mz = 0

but my tutor wrote on my worksheet that i should be using 36A.m^2 instead of 20, while in the 1st part, when finding Uinitial, i can use mzBz (30 x 6.9x10^3).

can anyone help me out on this? please as far as possible explain as simple as you can why is this so? thank you very much :smile:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I am having some difficulty following this but I think I see it. The final energy is zero, so the "error" is of no consequence, but the final configuration has the dipole aligned with the x-axis, and the strength of the dipole is 36, not 20. You have rotated it to a new orientation. The x-component is now the only component.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?