Magnetic field components of a circuit

In summary, the magnetic moment of the circuit is u and the magnetic field's components are Bx and By.
Erik P

Homework Statement

A circle-formed circuit with an area A lies in the (xy)-plane. An electric current I runs clockwise through the circuit (figure 1). An external magnetic field B exerts a torque t = D(3i - 4j) on the circuit, where D is a positive constant, i is the x-axis unit vector and j is the y-axis unit vector.

a.) Determine the circuits magnetic moment u and determine the magnetic field's components Bx and By.

Homework Equations

Right hand rule

\begin{equation}
\mu = IA
\end{equation}

\begin{equation}
\vec{\tau} = \vec{\mu} X \vec{B}
\end{equation}

The Attempt at a Solution

Solved the first part using the right hand rule, the magnetic moment is in the -z axis so we get:

\begin{equation}
\vec{\mu} = -IAk
\end{equation}

For the second part I know what it is supposed to be, but I get something different.

\begin{equation}
B_x = \frac{3}{IA}
\end{equation}

\begin{equation}
B_y = -\frac{4}{IA}
\end{equation}

But those answers are incorrect, the real answers have the 4 and 3 traded around and both are positive, instead of By being negative. Anyone able to tell me why that is? I figure that since 3 is multiplied by the x-axis unit vector that it should then be a part of Bx not By.

Physics news on Phys.org
Make sure that you are doing the cross product correctly. The other equations seems correct. It seems the mistake is in the cross product. When you cross i×k you should get -j and when you cross j×k you should get i.

Likes Erik P
Guneykan Ozgul said:
Make sure that you are doing the cross product correctly. The other equations seems correct. It seems the mistake is in the cross product. When you cross i×k you should get -j and when you cross j×k you should get i.
Redid the math, sure enough I made a mistake. Quick question though, should D not be included in the components? The answer says not, but I'm not sure on the reasoning.

I guess you should include D's in the components otherwise how can you obtain a torque that contains D?

Likes Erik P
Guneykan Ozgul said:
I guess you should include D's in the components otherwise how can you obtain a torque that contains D?
Alright thanks, must be a typo in the set.

Guneykan Ozgul said:
Are you by any chance familiar with conversion of electrical energy to heat in coils/solenoids? Can't seem to figure out how to solve a problem involving that. Basically I need to calculate the total energy converted to heat in a solenoid for t>=, it's the last part of a 3 part problem, already solved the other 2 parts. I can't seem to find anything in my book or online about heat generation of coils. Could use an equation/law that describes it or something that I can convert into an expression that describes it.

Related to Magnetic field components of a circuit

1. What is a magnetic field component in a circuit?

A magnetic field component in a circuit refers to the magnetic field that is created by the flow of electric current through a wire or conductor. It is an essential part of the circuit as it allows for the transfer of energy and information through the use of electromagnetism.

2. How is the magnetic field component of a circuit measured?

The magnetic field component of a circuit can be measured using a device called a gaussmeter, which measures the strength of the magnetic field in units of gauss or tesla. Another way to measure it is by using a compass, which will align with the direction of the magnetic field lines.

3. How does the direction of the current affect the magnetic field in a circuit?

The direction of the current in a circuit determines the direction of the magnetic field. According to the right-hand rule, the magnetic field lines will wrap around the wire in the direction of the current flow, creating a circular pattern.

4. What is the relationship between the strength of the current and the strength of the magnetic field in a circuit?

The strength of the magnetic field in a circuit is directly proportional to the strength of the current. This means that as the current increases, the strength of the magnetic field also increases. Similarly, a decrease in current results in a weaker magnetic field.

5. How can the magnetic field component of a circuit be manipulated?

The magnetic field component of a circuit can be manipulated by changing the amount of current flowing through the wire or by altering the shape and size of the wire. It can also be influenced by the presence of other magnetic fields in the surrounding environment.