1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field of Toroid

1. Feb 20, 2009 #1
    You are going to wrap a toroid with 273 m of copper wire that can carry a current of I = 1.7 A. The toroid has radius R = 16 cm and cross sectional diameter D = 1.2 cm. How large a magnetic field (T) can you make at the average toroidal radius?

I have been using the formula B = ([tex]\mu[/tex]*N*I)/2*[tex]\pi[/tex]*R
    where [tex]\mu[/tex] = 4[tex]\pi[/tex]*10^-7, N = number of windings of the coil, and I is the current...I have no idea how to figure out N though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You know how long the wire is and the size of the toroid. How many turns can you make with that much wire?

4. Feb 20, 2009 #3
    well L = 272m, and Im given R and the cross sectional diameter, and I know I need to combine those to get the size of the toroid, but I dont know how to combine them. Ive attached a picture that associated with the problem.

Attached Files:

5. Feb 20, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Hint: What's the circumference of the toroid cross-section?

6. Feb 20, 2009 #5
    Well, circumference = diameter time pi, so would the cross sectional circumference = pi * 1.2cm ? Even so, Im still really confused how to incorporate that into finding the total area of the circle. I understand I should essentially be thinking of the toroid as an inner circle and outer circle, but I can visualize how to incorporate both into the total area...

7. Feb 20, 2009 #6

Doc Al

Good. So how many times can you wrap the wire around that circumference?
    You don't need the area of the circle, just the circumference.

8. Feb 20, 2009 #7
    Thank you so so much! It makes much more sense to me now. Another student in my class explained it in a way that implied needing the area of the circles, which is what confused me. Thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook