Calculating Net Force from Change in Velocity and Time

In summary, a 41 kg hatch is thrown at a speed of 215 m/s and is stopped in 5.6 ms. To find the magnitude of the average net force during impact, we can use the equation F_net = m*a. The mass is given, and we can find the acceleration by using the equation a = (change in velocity) / (change in time), which gives us a value of 38,392.86 m/s^2.
rcmango

Homework Statement

A 41 kg hatch is thrown at a speed of 215 m/s and is immediately stopped once it hits something that lasts for a time of 5.6 ms.

So What is the magnitude of the average net force that acts on the hatch during the point that its hitting something?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

where do i start?

please help me with this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
rcmango said:

Homework Statement

A 41 kg hatch is thrown at a speed of 215 m/s and is immediately stopped once it hits something that lasts for a time of 5.6 ms.

So What is the magnitude of the average net force that acts on the hatch during the point that its hitting something?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

where do i start?

please help me with this one.
You should be familiar with the impulse/momentum equation. Or just use F_net=ma. Give it a try.

okay, so if i use the formula of F_net=ma

i don't know the net forces (Newtons)

i don't know the mass or the acceleration (m*a)

i do know the velocity and the time.

so must i use an equation to find the acceleration? so I'm closer to my answer?

what do i need to solve for next?

rcmango said:
okay, so if i use the formula of F_net=ma

i don't know the net forces (Newtons)

i don't know the mass or the acceleration (m*a)

i do know the velocity and the time.

so must i use an equation to find the acceleration? so I'm closer to my answer?

what do i need to solve for next?
The mass is given. What's the equation to use to find acceleration when the velocity change and time are known?

the formula is a = chng velocity / chng time

so a = 215 / 5.6 ?

rcmango said:
the formula is a = chng velocity / chng time

so a = 215 / 5.6 ?
watch units, the change in v is in m/s, and t is given in milliseconds(i.e., t =.0056 seconds).

1. What is magnitude in relation to net forces problems?

Magnitude is a measure of the strength or size of a force. In net forces problems, magnitude refers to the numerical value of the force, typically measured in Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

2. How do you calculate the net force in a problem?

To calculate the net force in a problem, you need to add all of the individual forces acting on an object together. If the forces are acting in the same direction, you can simply add them. If they are acting in different directions, you will need to subtract the smaller force from the larger force to determine the net force.

3. What is the difference between net force and balanced force?

Net force refers to the overall force acting on an object, taking into account all of the individual forces. If the net force is not equal to zero, the object will experience a change in motion. A balanced force, on the other hand, refers to two or more forces that are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, resulting in a net force of zero. This means the object will remain in a state of rest or continue moving at a constant velocity.

4. How does the magnitude of a force affect an object's motion?

The magnitude of a force directly affects an object's motion. The larger the magnitude, the greater the impact on the object's motion. A larger force will cause the object to accelerate more quickly or change direction more drastically, while a smaller force will result in a slower or less significant change in motion.

5. Can the direction of a force impact the net force on an object?

Yes, the direction of a force can have a significant impact on the net force on an object. When multiple forces are acting on an object, their directions must be taken into account in order to accurately calculate the net force. Forces acting in the same direction will add together, while forces acting in opposite directions will subtract from each other.