Magnitude of the non-coulomb electric field around a solenoid.

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude of the non-Coulomb electric field along a metal ring surrounding a solenoid with given dimensions and a changing magnetic field. The solution involves calculating the induced emf in the ring and using it to find the electric field. However, it is important to note that the emf equation should be used from the ring's perspective rather than the solenoid's. The final answer should be 2.40 V/m.
Pepjag

Homework Statement

A metal ring of radius r = 24 cm surrounds a
solenoid of radius R = 2 cm and 10000 turns.
The magnetic field inside the solenoid changes from 5 T to 3 T in
0.1 s. Find the magnitude of the non-Coulomb
electric field along the ring.
Answer in units of V/m

Homework Equations

emf = -N*d(flux)/dt = -N*db/dt*A
emf = integral of E*dl

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so i pretty much just plugged in numbers. for the emf:

emf = -10000*(3-5)/0.1*pi*0.02^2 = 251.3 volts.

For the electric field:

E = emf/L = 251.3/2*pi*0.24 = 166.7 V/m

Unfortunately, the computer keeps saying I'm wrong. Am I really doing something wrong? This seemed pretty straight forward.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pepjag said:
Ok, so i pretty much just plugged in numbers. for the emf:

emf = -10000*(3-5)/0.1*pi*0.02^2 = 251.3 volts.

Am I really doing something wrong?

You're looking at the emf induced in the metal ring. How many turns of wire does a metal ring have?

Wait, so you have to use the emf equation from the ring's perspective?

emf = (3-5)/0.1*pi*0.24^2 = 3.62 volts.

E = emf/L = 251.3/2*pi*0.24 = 2.40 V/m

Or do I still use the solenoid's area for the emf?

Last edited:
I have until 11:30 ct to finish this one problem, can anyone please give input.

I would first double check my calculations and make sure all units are consistent. I would also make sure I am using the correct equations and taking into account any necessary assumptions or simplifications. It may also be helpful to discuss the problem with a colleague or consult additional resources to confirm the solution. If the problem persists, I would consider reaching out to the instructor for clarification or further guidance.

1. What is the non-coulomb electric field around a solenoid?

The non-coulomb electric field around a solenoid is the electric field that is not generated by static charges, but rather by changing magnetic fields within the solenoid. It is a type of electromagnetic field.

2. How is the magnitude of the non-coulomb electric field around a solenoid determined?

The magnitude of the non-coulomb electric field around a solenoid can be calculated using the equation E = -N(dΦ/dt), where E is the electric field, N is the number of turns in the solenoid, and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of magnetic flux.

3. What factors influence the magnitude of the non-coulomb electric field around a solenoid?

The magnitude of the non-coulomb electric field is influenced by the number of turns in the solenoid, the current flowing through the solenoid, and the rate of change of the magnetic field within the solenoid.

4. Does the magnitude of the non-coulomb electric field change as you move away from the solenoid?

Yes, the magnitude of the non-coulomb electric field decreases as you move further away from the solenoid. This is because the magnetic field strength also decreases with distance, which leads to a decrease in the non-coulomb electric field.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding the magnitude of the non-coulomb electric field around a solenoid?

Understanding the magnitude of the non-coulomb electric field is important in many practical applications, such as in the design of electrical motors, generators, and transformers. It is also useful in studying the behavior of electromagnetic waves and in developing new technologies in fields such as telecommunications and power transmission.