Making a tool for polystyrene sculpting

• Thread starter Android 21
  • Start date
In summary: Actually, it's probably putting more stress on the battery than you need, and could shorten its life.No, I want to make my own. Just nicrom and cooper.No, I want to make my own.
Android 21
Hi,

Im making a tool for polystyrene sculpting using nicrom wire and 2 batteries, however the heat is take by the cooper wires and go to the batteries which is not recommended and also not energy efficient. Any idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I gather, you are going from battery to copper wire to nicrom wire to copper wire to battery.
So what you need to do is make handles for yourself. Make the copper wire longer and wrap each one around a pencil before it is attached to the nicrom.
The extra windings will allow some of that heat to radiate. Also, make sure that the copper wire is not super thin.

Likes Asymptotic
Switching to thick copper wires would be my first step as well. My bet is that the problem is not with the copper wire conducting heat, but with copper wire heating up (sure, it has a lower resistance, but it still heats up with I2).

Likes Asymptotic and davenn
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
Android 21 said:
Hi,

Im making a tool for polystyrene sculpting using nicrom wire and 2 batteries, however the heat is take by the cooper wires and go to the batteries which is not recommended and also not energy efficient. Any idea?
Where did you get the plans for the tool? What size batteries are you using? What is your target wire current and temperature?

It looks like other similar cutting tools are not battery-powered. Would you consider using a wall transformer power supply instead of batteries? How long do you expect the batteries to last?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O0XY9D2/?tag=pfamazon01-20

upload_2019-2-22_12-21-5.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-22_12-21-5.png
    upload_2019-2-22_12-21-5.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 718
A secondhand soldering gun would be a good source of low voltage high amperage AC
and it's safe.

upload_2019-2-22_17-33-15.png

around five bucks in junkshops here..

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-22_17-33-15.png
    upload_2019-2-22_17-33-15.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 700
Likes Asymptotic, jrmichler, anorlunda and 1 other person
.Scott said:
From what I gather, you are going from battery to copper wire to nicrom wire to copper wire to battery.
So what you need to do is make handles for yourself. Make the copper wire longer and wrap each one around a pencil before it is attached to the nicrom.
The extra windings will allow some of that heat to radiate. Also, make sure that the copper wire is not super thin.

Yes doing like that, will try that with the wood!

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Where did you get the plans for the tool? What size batteries are you using? What is your target wire current and temperature?

It looks like other similar cutting tools are not battery-powered. Would you consider using a wall transformer power supply instead of batteries? How long do you expect the batteries to last?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O0XY9D2/?tag=pfamazon01-20

View attachment 239177

No plans, :ust connected them to try first. Batteries AA rechargeable.

Borek said:
Switching to thick copper wires would be my first step as well. My bet is that the problem is not with the copper wire conducting heat, but with copper wire heating up (sure, it has a lower resistance, but it still heats up with I2).

Yes the copper wires where very thin and close to the nicrom.

jim hardy said:
A secondhand soldering gun would be a good source of low voltage high amperage AC
and it's safe.

View attachment 239187

around five bucks in junkshops here..

Yes but the idea is make my own one :)

Android 21 said:
Yes but the idea is make my own one :)

Where do you start? With iron and copper ore, or with a surplus transformer ?

Doesn't matter in the long run, just have fun and learn a lot.
We learn by doing.
You're already learning about the relation between heating of wire and its cross sectional area..

old jim

Likes Asymptotic
Android 21 said:
Batteries AA rechargeable.

They won't have enough juice for any serious work. If you really want to go battery way, go for LiPos. The one I happen to have on my desk right now is 12 V and 2.2 Ah, that's something like a dozen AAs (more or less, depending on capacity).

Likes berkeman
jim hardy said:
Where do you start? With iron and copper ore, or with a surplus transformer ?

Doesn't matter in the long run, just have fun and learn a lot.
We learn by doing.
You're already learning about the relation between heating of wire and its cross sectional area..

old jim

Just nicrom and cooper.

Borek said:
They won't have enough juice for any serious work. If you really want to go battery way, go for LiPos. The one I happen to have on my desk right now is 12 V and 2.2 Ah, that's something like a dozen AAs (more or less, depending on capacity).

With 30 minutes is enough, and good for batteries for discharge (is better to use them a lot) here I don't have the exact nicrom diameter, later will post it.

Attachments

• AA-1amp.png
    AA-1amp.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 340
Likes Asymptotic and jim hardy
berkeman said:
That's well above what AA batteries are sized for:
Instead, for your hobby use, I'd recommend using a sealed lead-acid battery like the one below. It has good power and energy capability, and is pretty vanilla to recharge (buy a commercial recharger for it). You can still start a fire with this size battery if you are not careful or make a mistake (please do not ask me how I know this), but overall it is a good building block for your hobby projects like your electric cutter/sculpting tool, IMO.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/content/images/product/large/813987.jpg

813987.jpg

Attachments

• 813987.jpg
    813987.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 386

1. What materials do I need to make a tool for polystyrene sculpting?

To make a tool for polystyrene sculpting, you will need a piece of polystyrene foam, a sharp knife or cutter, sandpaper, and any additional tools or materials you may want to use for shaping or detailing.

2. How do I shape the tool for polystyrene sculpting?

To shape the tool, you can use a sharp knife or cutter to carve the desired shape out of the polystyrene foam. You can also use sandpaper to smooth out any rough edges and create a more precise shape.

3. Can I reuse the tool for polystyrene sculpting?

Yes, the tool can be reused multiple times as long as it is kept in good condition. However, over time, the tool may become dull or damaged and may need to be replaced.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using the tool for polystyrene sculpting?

Yes, it is important to wear protective gear such as gloves and eye protection when using the tool for polystyrene sculpting. The sharp edges of the tool and small pieces of polystyrene foam can be hazardous if not handled carefully.

5. What are some tips for using the tool for polystyrene sculpting?

Some tips for using the tool include starting with a rough shape and gradually refining it, using a light touch to avoid breaking the foam, and experimenting with different tools and techniques to achieve different textures and details in the sculpture.