Does anhydrous compound Penta-hydrate have mono- or tetra-hydrate forms?

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter badatschool
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary: They do exist, which is why the question as posted looked OK to me. There is no tetrahydrate, it is not clear to me what is the status of dihydrate (I thought it does exist, quick googling suggest it doesn't).
badatschool
Homework Statement
What is the mass of CuSO4 if the mass of CuSO4.H2O is 61 grams
Relevant Equations
CuSO4.H2O
WIN_20211205_17_39_01_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you read the rules for the forum?

Likes Astronuc
Bystander said:
Have you read the rules for the forum?
There are rules?

You need to make an attempt at the solution, show some work.

Likes Astronuc
I just tried re working it and showing work but I have no idea what I'm doing and I tried using my noted but its no help

Where IS your work?

Likes Astronuc
on paper?

Post it here so someone can help you figure out what you're doing wrong.

Likes Astronuc
WIN_20211205_17_39_01_Pro.jpg

In the future please show your effort when starting the thread, not an hour after. We can't comment on things we don't see.

Your logic is mostly OK, but check the molar masses you are using.

Likes Astronuc and Bystander
Homework Statement:What is the mass of CuSO4 if the mass of CuSO4.H2O is 61 grams

Relevant Equations:CuSO4.H2O
Calculate or find the formula weights for cupric sulfate and cupric sulfate tetra-hydrate mono-hydrate. You can find the fraction of cupric sulfate in the hydrated compound. You will be able to form a very straightforward proportion.

Last edited:
The question refers to the monohydrate.

symbolipoint said:
Calculate or find the formula weights for cupric sulfate and cupric sulfate tetra-hydrate. You can find the fraction of cupric sulfate in the hydrated compound.
"Penta-hydrate," I'm unaware of the existence of either mono-, or tetra-hydrates. Did not point that fact out, since it provides/exemplifies additional instructional/nomenclatural/pedagogical opportunities for the OP. The significance of small whole numbers/fractions in discussing "hydrates" is important.

I MISREAD PART OF THE FORMULA. I WILL CHANGE MY RESPONSE IMMEDIATELY.

• Love
Likes Bystander
Bystander said:
"Penta-hydrate," I'm unaware of the existence of either mono-, or tetra-hydrates.
They do exist, which is why the question as posted looked OK to me. There is no tetrahydrate, it is not clear to me what is the status of dihydrate (I thought it does exist, quick googling suggest it doesn't).

1. What is the definition of "mass of an anhydrous compound"?

The mass of an anhydrous compound refers to the total weight of the compound without any water molecules present.

2. How is the mass of an anhydrous compound determined?

The mass of an anhydrous compound is determined by weighing the compound before and after it has been heated to remove any water molecules.

3. Why is it important to know the mass of an anhydrous compound?

Knowing the mass of an anhydrous compound is important for accurately calculating the concentration and stoichiometry of a reaction involving the compound.

4. How does the mass of an anhydrous compound differ from the mass of a hydrated compound?

The mass of an anhydrous compound is lower than the mass of a hydrated compound because the water molecules add to the overall weight of the compound in its hydrated form.

5. Can the mass of an anhydrous compound change over time?

The mass of an anhydrous compound can change over time if it is exposed to moisture and absorbs water molecules, becoming a hydrated compound.