Massflow rate from Pressure, Temperature, and Value placement

In summary: User should try something more realistic like 10-20 cc/min or something.In summary, the user is trying to simulate natural gas flowing through a pipe. They need to input variables such as temperature, pressure, and density of the gas, and then use an equation to calculate the velocity of the gas.
btb4198
so this is what i know:
m=ρ*V*A
ρ = 0.669 ρ (kg/m3) for Methane (gas) I think...
A = flow area = ( D^2/pi) units are m^2 I think for a pipe I really think this is wrong
V = M * sqrt (gam * R * T)
R = Universal Gas Constant = 8314 J/kmol-K.
T = temperature
gam = K = 1.304 for Methane I think
M= I do not understand what M is?

where does DP come in at ? do you need DP?
and where does Pressure come in at?
if you have Value Placement 40 % open how will that change Mass flow?

what other information do I need?
I am writing a simulator in C#
I am simulating natural gas in a pipe line from a well

Science news on Phys.org
M is the Mach number. It is the ratio of the speed of a fluid to the speed of sound in that same fluid.

If you know the internal diameter of a pipe (D), then the area A = (pi/4)*D^2

How to do solve for M?

It's not clear from the OP how your simulation will work, i.e., what sort of inputs will you be using to determine the properties of the methane flowing from the well. Do you know the flow rate out of the well? Its temperature, pressure, ...?

User input

so the user can enter temperature or Pressure or DP or anything else needed...

M is going to depend on the velocity of the gas and its temperature.

so how do you determine the velocity of the gas ?
does that have something to do with dp / ΔP?

First, in your equation, [itex]R[/itex] is not the universal gas constant, but the specific gas constant for the gas at hand.

Also, why are you having trouble trying to calculate your velocity? You have it as something you are solving for up top with the equation listed if you give it a certain Mach number. Otherwise, to calculate it without knowing the Mach number a priori (in which case there is no reason seemingly for you to have Mach number even listed up top there), then you need to give us more information on what you are actually trying to solve, or rather the physical system it pertains to.

Perhaps start by telling us what variables you want to have as user inputs and what values you are hoping to get out in return.

ok

Temperature, Pressure, and DP are user inputs

It will be Natural gas going into a flow meter ...
a orifice

also there is a value at the end of the pipe
the value open from 0% to 100%

0% is close and means no flow

what is a good size for a value?

I just learned that there are sensors that can tell you = Volumetric flow...
so I am going to use this equation:
Mass flow rate = ((m *P)/(nRT))*QX;
which Given:
Q = 200 cm3
/min
m = 28.0134 g in 1 mole of N2
n = 1 mole
P = 1 atm
R = 82.1 (cm3 • 1 atm)/(mole • °K)
T = 273.15 °K(0 °C)
ok now
I think I will multiply Mass flow rate but the output of the value .
to mass flow rate * 0 = 0 and that is when the value is close
and Mass flow rate * 100 is when it is fully open..

do you think would be a good simulation of gas coming out of a value to in a tank ?
or is there a better way I should do it ?

also I would still like to know how to solve from V with only Temperature, Pressure I know it has something to do with Bernoulli's principle

'value' = a quantity, a number
'valve' = a mechanical device to regulate the flow of a fluid

yeah I know...
sorry it was a typo

Q = 200 cc/min is not even a breeze to a flea.

What is massflow rate and how is it related to pressure and temperature?

Massflow rate is the measure of how much mass (usually in kilograms) of a substance is moving through a specific area per unit of time. It is related to pressure and temperature through the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure and temperature of a gas are directly proportional to its mass and volume.

How does the placement of a value affect the massflow rate?

The placement of a value, such as a valve or restriction, can affect the massflow rate by changing the flow area and therefore the velocity of the substance. A smaller flow area or a restriction will result in a higher velocity and therefore a higher massflow rate.

What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating massflow rate from pressure, temperature, and value placement?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating massflow rate from pressure, temperature, and value placement include variations in the properties of the substance (such as density and viscosity), changes in the environment (such as altitude and temperature), and errors in measurement or calculation.

How is massflow rate measured and what units are used?

Massflow rate can be measured using various instruments such as flow meters, or by calculating it from pressure, temperature, and value placement data. The units used for massflow rate are typically kilograms per second (kg/s) or pounds per hour (lb/hr).

Can massflow rate be controlled and if so, how?

Yes, massflow rate can be controlled by adjusting the pressure, temperature, and value placement. This can be achieved through various methods such as changing the size of the flow area, adjusting the valve opening, or controlling the temperature of the substance. Additionally, advanced control systems can be used to precisely regulate the massflow rate in various industrial processes.