Can I Solve This Massive Pulley Problem Without Using Energies?

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving an equation for finding the velocity of mass 2 using a pulley system, but the mass of the pulley is missing. The approach of using energy is mentioned, but it is not necessary for solving the problem. The conversation also mentions the possibility of calculating the pulley disk mass with the given information. However, using energies is not necessary for determining the acceleration of mass 2.
isukatphysics69

Homework Statement

iamsoscrewed.PNG

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so i have derived the equation

T2-T1 = .5MPULLEY*atangential
and stopped here because i am missing the mass of the pulley. now since the equation gives a velocity i was thinking to use energy, is this the correct approach?

Attachments

• iamsoscrewed.PNG
    iamsoscrewed.PNG
    8.3 KB · Views: 853
Physics news on Phys.org
isukatphysics69 said:
so i have derived the equation
That is very nifty (and probably correcet), but I don't see it if you don't post your working. Especially since you start out from zero relevant equations !
isukatphysics69 said:
stopped here because i am missing the mass of the pulley
Call it ##M_P## and proceed. Perhaps it divides out :rolleyes:

isukatphysics69 said:
and stopped here because i am missing the mass of the pulley.
You can just keep working with Mpulley. But you don't even have to do it.

What is the type of motion mass 2 will make? Do you have to consider details of the pulley system to find its acceleration?

Does the problem later ask to calculate the pulley disk mass? Because it is possible with the given information.

Likes isukatphysics69
mfb said:
You can just keep working with Mpulley. But you don't even have to do it.

What is the type of motion mass 2 will make? Do you have to consider details of the pulley system to find its acceleration?

Does the problem later ask to calculate the pulley disk mass? Because it is possible with the given information.
Yes the problem later ask me to calculate the disk mass, it is 6:30am I was too tired to type out all of the work I am going to sleep right now but I'm curious why they have velocity I was wondering if I need to consider energy on this problem or not

You don't have to consider energies. You can use them to find the disk mass, but you can equally do everything without energies.

For the first step (acceleration) energies are not useful.

Likes isukatphysics69

1. What is a massive pulley problem?

A massive pulley problem is a type of physics problem that involves a system of objects connected by a pulley, with at least one of the objects having a significant mass. The goal of the problem is to determine the motion and forces acting on the objects in the system.

2. What are the key principles involved in solving a massive pulley problem?

The key principles involved in solving a massive pulley problem are Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy, and the concept of rotational motion. In these problems, the forces acting on the objects can be broken down into components and analyzed using these principles.

3. How is the tension in the rope determined in a massive pulley problem?

The tension in the rope can be determined by analyzing the forces acting on the objects in the system. In general, the tension will be equal at all points along the rope, with the exception of any points where the rope changes direction or goes over a frictionless pulley.

4. Are these types of problems common in real-world applications?

Yes, massive pulley problems are common in real-world applications, particularly in engineering and physics. Examples include systems involving cranes, elevators, and various types of machinery that use pulleys to lift or move heavy objects.

5. What are some strategies for solving a difficult massive pulley problem?

Some strategies for solving a difficult massive pulley problem include drawing free-body diagrams for each object in the system, breaking down forces into components, applying Newton's laws of motion, and using conservation of energy. It can also be helpful to identify any unknown variables and use algebra to solve for them.