Maximum compression in a spring

In summary, two carts of equal mass, 0.300 kg, are placed on a frictionless track. If they collide elastically, the red cart experiences a maximum compression of 0.735 J in the spring, while the blue cart experiences a maximum compression of 1.57 J.
Knfoster

Homework Statement

Two carts of equal mass, m = 0.300 kg, are placed on a frictionless track that has a light spring of force constant k = 48.9 N/m attached to one end of it. The red cart is given an initial velocity of v0 = 3.13 m/s to the right, and the blue cart is initially at rest. If the carts collide elastically, find the magnitude of the velocity of the red cart just after the first collision. Find the magnitude of the velocity of the blue cart just after the first collision.
Find the maximum compression in the spring.

Homework Equations

pe=1/2*k*change in x
m1v1=m2v2

The Attempt at a Solution

THe velocity of the red cart after the first collision=0 m/s
the velocity of the blue cart after the first collison=3.13 m/s
I don't know how to find the maximum compression in the spring... Please help. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I have done some work with this before, but if I'm wrong, I hope someone else can correct me. When two objects collide elastically, they naturally compress and kind of stick together momentarily. In this case, the collision acts like an inelastic collision, which causes some of the energy of the system to be stored in the spring. So, if you treat that system during the collision as inelastic you get the velocity of the two carts (together) to be 1.57 m/s and the KE to be 0.735 J. The total energy of the system is 1.47 J. Using these values with the conservation of energy, you should be able to calculate the maximum compression in the spring.

The maximum compression of the spring should occur at the point when the two bodies come to a common velocity. At this point, one body will have lost velocity and the other will have gained, and they will be at their point of closest approach to each other, ie, the maximum compression of the spring. Thereafter, the spring begins to expand and the velocities begin to separate.

If I'm interpreting the problem correctly, I believe you just have to find the compression of the spring when all of the kinetic energy of the blue cart is put into the compression of the spring.

As you said.. after the collision:
The velocity of the red cart is 0 m/s
The velocity of the blue cart is 3.13 m/s

Thus you know the total energy of the system before the blue cart hits the spring. This is equal to the energy
of the system after it hits the spring.
[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}=\frac{1}{2}kx_{max}^{2}[/tex]

(the velocity of the blue cart is 0 at the max compression... that is why there is no [tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}[/tex] term on the RHS)

Hope it helps!

What is maximum compression in a spring?

Maximum compression in a spring refers to the point at which the spring has been compressed to its furthest extent without causing permanent deformation or damage.

How is maximum compression measured in a spring?

The maximum compression of a spring is typically measured in terms of displacement or distance, usually in units of meters or inches.

What factors affect the maximum compression of a spring?

The maximum compression of a spring is influenced by the material and thickness of the spring, as well as the force applied to it and any external factors such as temperature or pressure.

What happens if a spring is compressed beyond its maximum compression?

If a spring is compressed beyond its maximum compression, it may become permanently deformed or damaged, causing it to lose its elasticity and ability to return to its original shape.

How can maximum compression in a spring be increased?

Maximum compression in a spring can be increased by using a stronger or thicker material, increasing the size of the spring, or applying a greater force to the spring.