MCQ: Law of independent assortment

In summary: Based on the Law of Independent Assortment (which can be derived from understanding what happens at the various stages of meiosis), you would expect 50% of cells to show the arrangement on the left of (a) and 50% of the cells to show the arrangment on the right (a).I completely get you, the chances of getting each combination is 1/2 or 50%. Thank you. :)
TytoAlba95
Homework Statement
Please find the attachment below
Relevant Equations

Answer: (a)

Attempt:
In Metaphase I, homologous chromosomes separate. Out of the four options, dig (a) and (d) have correct representation of separating homologous chromosomes.

Now, according to the law of independent assortment, during segregation the chromosomes can group in any combination. So I think (d) should be the correct option i.e. either of the combination can occur.

The answer provided is (a) , am I missing on something.

Physics news on Phys.org
How can two options occur each with 100% probability?

Ygggdrasil said:
How can two options occur each with 100% probability?
I think, they are not generated at the same time, it either the first or the second combination.

Perhaps think of it this way: if you have 100 gametes, how many gametes do you expect to show the first combination and how many gametes do you expect to show the second combination?

Ygggdrasil said:
Perhaps think of it this way: if you have 100 gametes, how many gametes do you expect to show the first combination and how many gametes do you expect to show the second combination?

Sorry, I still can't get it. Does 1:1 ratio got something to do with independent assortment?

Ygggdrasil said:
Hope you don't mind discussing this question after so many months of dormancy.
The 1st combination can be anything, say x% , then the second combination will be (100- x)%.

So 50% : 50% is an arbitrary percentage they have assigned to the two combinations? Still (a) is the correct answer based on this logic?

SanjuktaGhosh said:
Hope you don't mind discussing this question after so many months of dormancy.
The 1st combination can be anything, say x% , then the second combination will be (100- x)%.

So 50% : 50% is an arbitrary percentage they have assigned to the two combinations? Still (a) is the correct answer based on this logic?

Based on the Law of Independent Assortment (which can be derived from understanding what happens at the various stages of meiosis), you would expect 50% of cells to show the arrangement on the left of (a) and 50% of the cells to show the arrangment on the right (a).

I completely get you, the chances of getting each combination is 1/2 or 50%. Thank you. :)

1. What is the Law of Independent Assortment?

The Law of Independent Assortment is a principle of genetics that states that the alleles for different traits are inherited independently of each other. This means that the inheritance of one trait does not affect the inheritance of another trait.

2. Who discovered the Law of Independent Assortment?

The Law of Independent Assortment was discovered by Gregor Mendel, a scientist and monk who is known as the "Father of Genetics." He conducted experiments with pea plants in the mid-1800s and observed the patterns of inheritance that led to the discovery of this law.

3. How does the Law of Independent Assortment differ from the Law of Segregation?

The Law of Segregation states that the two alleles for a trait separate during the formation of gametes, while the Law of Independent Assortment states that the alleles for different traits are inherited independently. In other words, the Law of Segregation applies to a single gene, while the Law of Independent Assortment applies to multiple genes.

4. What is a dihybrid cross?

A dihybrid cross is a genetic cross between two individuals that differ in two traits. This type of cross is used to study the inheritance of two traits at the same time and is based on the Law of Independent Assortment.

5. How does the Law of Independent Assortment contribute to genetic diversity?

The Law of Independent Assortment allows for the random assortment of alleles during gamete formation, which leads to a wide variety of genetic combinations in offspring. This contributes to genetic diversity within a species, which is important for adaptation and survival.