Understanding the Error: Evaluating a Definite Integral with Polar Equations

• Thread starter samh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: Thank you so much. In summary, the problem is that when you change the bounds of the integral from 0 to pi/2, the answer changes from 2 to 0.
samh
Hey guys, I'm having trouble solving this definite integral. I'm doing work with polar equations and I was led to this:

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/6021/first4hv.gif

which I simplified to

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/669/second8qs.gif

And, using the trig identity cos(x)^2 = (1 + cos(2x))/2, I got this

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/4734/third1jh.gif

Which then simplifies down to 0. But that is the wrong answer. I know for a fact that the answer is 8. Even Mathematica says the answer is 8. I'm pretty sure my problem lies in the step where I removed the square root, but I don't see what exactly I did wrong. Why is it wrong, and what can I do to evaluate this integral correctly? Thankyou to anyone who helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rewrite the original integral as 4 times the integral from 0 to pi/2 which you can justify from the properties of sine and cosine - that should avoid confusion.

But the integral from 0 to pi/2 is 2*sqrt(2). 4 times that equals 8*sqrt(2). edit: nevermind, I see what you were saying.

Is there a way to do this problem without changing the bounds? I mean since the cosine function is negative from pi/2 to 3pi/2 isn't there a way to rewrite the integral as two or more integrals or something? My teacher did this on the board but I cannot remember what he did, he talked too fast.

Edit: but a big part of what I'm really trying to figure out is why that last step is wrong. It seems like it works just perfectly. I know it has something to do with cosine being negative but why does that affect it? Doesn't the fact that it's being squared make a difference?

Last edited:
[itex]\sqrt{(1+\cos(x))^2+(-\sin(x))^2}=\sqrt{1+2\cos(x)+\cos^2(x)+\sin^2(x)}=\sqrt{2+2\cos(x)}[/itex]
no square on the cosine.

Hmm I don't really understand the point you're making... Argh I'm stupid. Okay I'm going to switch the topic to a new problem that focuses more directly on the problem I'm having. This will help me explain to you guys the trouble I'm having.

Consider this integral:

http://img459.imageshack.us/img459/2264/new8ud.gif

Now, if I change sqrt(cos(x)^2) to just cos(x) and continue from there, I end up with 0. But the correct answer is 2. I know it is 2 because Mathematica told me so (heh).

Why does that method fail me? I know it has something to do with the fact that sqrt(x^2)=|x|, but I just can't make the connection. I know I can just change the bounds to 0 to pi/2 and then just multiply the result by 2 but I want to understand why the method I showed does not work. I can't intuitively see why this is giving me a wrong answer. My brain is totally failing me. I keep thinking the squaring of the cosine makes the negative go away but something is obviously happening behind the scenes I am not understanding... :frown:

Last edited by a moderator:
because d/dx[x^n] = n*x^(n-1)

so cos[x]^2 = ?

mathmike said:
because d/dx[x^n] = n*x^(n-1)
so cos[x]^2 = ?
The derivative of cos2(x) is -2cos(x)sin(x) but I don't see what you're trying to tell me...

But anyway thanks for your help guys. I just now finally succeeded in getting myself to really understand the error and why it is happening. I just sat down for a while and studied the graphs of sqrt(cos2(x)) and cos(x) and wrote my thoughts down on a piece of paper a few times and it finally made sense.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It allows us to calculate the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. How do you solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you can use various methods such as integration by parts, substitution, or using a table of integrals. The key is to understand the properties and rules of integrals and apply the appropriate method to simplify the problem.

3. Why are integrals important?

Integrals are essential in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and economics. They allow us to calculate quantities such as area, volume, and displacement, which are crucial in understanding real-world problems.

4. Can all integrals be solved analytically?

No, not all integrals can be solved analytically. Some integrals have no closed-form solution and require numerical methods to approximate the value. However, most integrals encountered in basic calculus can be solved analytically.

5. How can I check if my solution to an integral is correct?

You can check your solution by taking the derivative of the integral and seeing if it matches the original function. You can also use online tools or software programs to verify your answer. Additionally, checking your work step by step and ensuring each step follows the properties and rules of integrals can help ensure the accuracy of your solution.