Measuring the thickness of a thin film of bismuth for Hall Effect experiment.

In summary, the conversation is about an investigation into the preparation of thin films and their use in Hall Effect measurements. They are making thin films of bismuth on glass in a vacuum system and are discussing methods for measuring the thickness of the film. One suggestion is to measure the mass of the film, but they note that the scales may not be accurate. Another method is to measure the resistance of a rectangular or square segment of bismuth, but they are unsure how to do this practically since the film is not a regular shape. Other possible methods include using finite element analysis or measuring the inductance of a coil next to the film using AC frequencies. The latter method could provide a precision of 1% with just an oscillos
adwodon
Hello there,
I'm an undergrad in my 3rd year and I'm doing an investigation into the 'Preparation of Thin Films and their use in Hall Effect measurements.'

We are making thin films of bismuth on glass (with pre drilled terminals) in a vacuum system.

The way they suggest measuring the thickness is by measuring the mass of the film, although they are quick to point out that the scales arent the most accurate and will only give a very rough approximation.

One way I know read would work would be to have a rectangular / square segment of bismuth and measure its resistance, although I am not entirely sure how to go about this from a practical perspective as the shape of the bismuth film isn't rectangular, is it possible to do this for any shape provided you can easily calculate the area?

What other methods would there be to calculate the thickness. We were told we could request any equipment within reason, I doubt they would give us high tech expensive spectroscopy equipment for example, however if you know of any reasonably accurate and not overly technical, as I am only an average 3rd year undergrad, then I can at least ask and find out if its possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
Numerically, you can compute resistance for any shape, but you basically need to do finite element analysis. If you're comfortable with programming, it's not that hard to do.

If you place an coil next to thin conductor film and apply AC, the inductance of the coil at different frequencies will depend on the thickness of the material, so long as the film is thinner than the skin layer at that frequency. This could give you precision of about 1% in measuring the thickness if you set it up right, and all you'd need is an oscilloscope and a function generator.

1. How do you measure the thickness of a thin film of bismuth for the Hall Effect experiment?

To measure the thickness of a thin film of bismuth, you can use a technique called ellipsometry. This method involves measuring the change in polarization of light reflected off the surface of the film, which is then used to calculate the thickness.

2. What equipment is needed to measure the thickness of a thin film of bismuth?

In addition to an ellipsometer, you will need a light source, a detector, and a computer to analyze the data. Other equipment such as a sample holder and a vacuum system may also be necessary depending on the specific setup.

3. Can the Hall Effect experiment be performed on any thin film of bismuth?

No, the Hall Effect experiment can only be performed on thin films that are electrically conductive. Bismuth is a semimetal, so it can be used for this experiment.

4. How does the thickness of the bismuth film affect the Hall Effect measurements?

The thickness of the bismuth film will affect the Hall Effect measurements as it determines the number of charge carriers and the distance they have to travel. Thicker films may have a higher number of charge carriers, resulting in a stronger Hall Effect signal.

5. Are there any potential sources of error when measuring the thickness of a thin film of bismuth for the Hall Effect experiment?

Yes, there are several potential sources of error including variations in the film thickness, imperfections on the surface of the film, and external factors such as temperature and humidity. It is important to carefully control these variables to ensure accurate measurements.