Mechanics, rewrite and solve equation, change of variables.

In summary, the equation # can be rewritten as a differential equation for v as a function of x, using the relevant equations dv/dt=gsin(a) - b(v^2). By applying the chain rule, x'' can be replaced by v(dv/dx) to obtain the desired equation. The solution can then be found by separating and integrating.
fed_ex
Equation found in previous question is #: x''=gsin(a)-b(v^2)
1. Rewrite the equation # as a differential equation for v as a function of x.
2. Solve the equation to find v as a function of x.

Relevant equations: v=x'=dx/dt, x''=v'=a=dv/dt
Attempt at 1: Using the relevant equations you can rewrite # as
*: dv/dt=gsin(a) - b((x')^2)
Which i am scepticle of being correct due to my inability to solve it in the 2nd part.
Attempts at 2:Tried integrating but the whole((x')^2) confused me, i was thinking of making that (dx/dt)*(dx/dt) but got stuck again.
Tried to rewrite * but i was expecting a first order LINEAR equation, so that i could use the integrating factor method, so alas that also didn't work.

Any help would be appreciated, thankyou.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi fed_ex! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
fed_ex said:
dv/dt=gsin(a) - b((x')^2)

correct, but you've gone a bit too far …

try dv/dt=gsin(a) - b(v2) :wink:

You are asked to find a differential equation for v as a function of x so you want derivatives with respect to x, not t.
By the chain rule, x''= dv/dt= (dv/dx)(dx/dt)= v (dv/dx).

Replacing x'' in the equation by v (dv/dx) gives the equation you want.

Ah yes! Then separate and enjoy tasty solution.
Thanks!

1. What is mechanics?

Mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and the behavior of physical systems under the action of forces.

2. How do you rewrite an equation in mechanics?

To rewrite an equation in mechanics, you can use basic algebraic techniques such as adding, subtracting, multiplying, or dividing both sides of the equation by the same value. You can also rearrange the terms to isolate the variable you want to solve for.

3. Why is changing variables important in mechanics?

Changing variables in mechanics allows us to simplify complex equations and make them easier to solve. It also helps us to better understand the relationship between different physical quantities and how they affect each other.

4. Can you solve mechanics problems without using equations?

Yes, it is possible to solve mechanics problems without using equations by using graphical methods or physical reasoning. However, equations provide a more precise and systematic way of solving problems and are often necessary for more complex scenarios.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when dealing with mechanics equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when dealing with mechanics equations include incorrect use of units, forgetting to consider all the forces acting on a system, and not paying attention to the direction of vectors. It is also important to double-check your calculations and ensure that they make physical sense.