Mechanics rope of mass problem

In summary: When v is changing, F is not zero. So, in part a, you are integrating the force over a time period when v is changing, and this doesn't result in the correct value for the kinetic energy.
asdf60
A uniform rope of mass 'i' per unit length is coiled on a table, one end s pulled straight up with constant speed Vo.

a. find the force exerted on the end of the rope as a function of distance of the top of the rope above table (y).
b. compare the power delivered to the rope with the rate of change of the ropes total mechanical energy.

Part a seems to be pretty simple... F-mg = dp/dt, so F(y) = i*V^2+i*y*g.

Now the problem is when i integrate F(y) with respect with y, I should get the total energy of the rope system. But i don't. The total energy = .5mv^2 + mgh = .5(i*y)(v^2) + .5(i*y)(y*g), which clearly isn't the integral of F. So what's going on?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure I follow what you did, but you basically have mass that is a function of time.

Right.
That's why I set m(t) = y(t)*density*g.

Pls explain where [itex]iV^2[/itex] came from in part a.

Here's my line of thinking.

[tex]F = \dot p = ma[/tex]

Since v is constant, that means a = 0, meaning the net force on the rope is zero. No?

Last edited:
iv^2 is the change in momentum. This is because the change in mass is I*v, and velocity is a constant V, so dp/dt = Iv^2.

Last edited:
Hehe simultaneous post.

In any case, no. The momentum is not constant. The mass of rope moving at velocity V is increasing. Which implies that F is not zero.

Wait a minute asdf you mean

[tex] \frac{dp}{dt} = \frac{dm}{dt}v [/tex]

where

[tex] \frac{dm}{dy} = \frac{M}{L} [/tex]

so

[tex] \frac{dp}{dt} = \frac{M}{L}v^2 [/tex]

which is precisely what i posted by saying dp/dt = i*v^2, where i = M/L (if M = mass of entire rope, and L = length of entire rope), just as you have.

Let me just be a bit more clear. The question can be simplified.

Forget gravity, and just say the force is pulling on the string. Then as was proven above, F = dp/dt = M/L * v^2. This makes sense, we can integrate to show that the momentum at time t is the integral of the force up to t.

But now, if we consider the kinetic energy = .5 m v ^2, where m = y*M/L, it breaks down. The kinetic energy as a function of y should be the integral F dy from 0 to y, but this is clearly not the case, as the integral of F dy is M/L * v^2 * y, which is close to KE(y) = .5 y*M/L v^2, but the .5 term is missing.

Why is the .5 term missing? Am a making an incredibly stupid mistake, or is something really wrong?

Last edited:
hotvette said:
Pls explain where [itex]iV^2[/itex] came from in part a.

Here's my line of thinking.

[tex]F = \dot p = ma[/tex]

Since v is constant, that means a = 0, meaning the net force on the rope is zero. No?

I see it now.

[tex]F = \dot p = ma[/tex] is only true when m is constant.

1. What is the definition of "Mechanics rope of mass problem"?

The "Mechanics rope of mass problem" refers to a physics problem that involves studying the motion and forces acting on a rope with a known mass, typically in a pulley system or as part of a larger mechanical system.

2. What are the key equations used to solve a mechanics rope of mass problem?

The main equations used in mechanics rope of mass problems are Newton's laws of motion, which describe the relationship between an object's mass, acceleration, and the forces acting on it. The equation for calculating force, F=ma, is often used along with the equations for tension and weight (T=mg) and friction (F=μN).

3. How do you determine the tension in a rope in a mechanics problem?

The tension in a rope can be determined by using the equation T=mg, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation assumes that the rope is massless and that the acceleration of the rope is negligible compared to the objects it is supporting.

4. What are some common mistakes made when solving mechanics rope of mass problems?

One common mistake is forgetting to account for the mass of the rope itself, which can affect the overall forces and acceleration in the system. Another mistake is failing to include the correct units in calculations, which can lead to incorrect answers. It is also important to carefully draw and label a free body diagram to accurately represent all the forces acting on the rope and the objects connected to it.

5. How can mechanics rope of mass problems be applied in real-world situations?

Understanding mechanics rope of mass problems can be useful in a variety of real-world scenarios, such as designing and building structures or machines that rely on ropes for support or movement. It can also be applied in sports, such as rock climbing or sailing, where ropes are used to support and move objects. Additionally, understanding the forces and tensions in a rope can be important for safety in activities like bungee jumping or zip lining.