MEng in Mechanical Engineering/Aerospace Engineering

In summary, the student is a high school student studying for their A Levels and is considering pursuing Aerospace Engineering. They have a strong interest in designing spaceships and working for NASA or ESA. They are currently taking several relevant courses and are committed to obtaining high grades. They are considering applying to top universities in this field, but are open to suggestions for other schools. They are also looking for tips on getting accepted into top universities and gaining relevant work experience. In addition to their academic pursuits, they are involved in extracurricular activities and have a passion for learning. They are also considering participating in a university soccer team while pursuing their Aerospace MEng.
JRHawking
Fellow engineers,

I am a student at an International School in the 11th grade. I am currently studying for my A Levels and am almost absolutely sure Aerospace Engineering is the right course for me but I have some doubts I wish to clarify:

I enjoy coming up with solutions to problems, fixing broken mechanisms, reading tech magazines and have a lifelong dream of designing spaceships (satellites, etc.) and working for NASA.

1. With this course, can I aspire to be an astronaut?

I am currently taking Maths A2, Physics A2, Further Mathematics A2, Chemistry A2, Music A2, Portuguese A2 and Thinking Skills AS. I'm studying hard to obtain the best grades possible (hopefully A's and A*'s if I work hard) and so I'm considering in applying to some of the best universities in this area, such as:

- Cambridge;
- Imperial College;
- Caltech;
- Cornell University
;

Yes I do know that it's hard to get accepted in these universities, but I am committed to get the necessary grades.

2. Are there any other Universities that you think I should consider?

3. Any tips on how to get accepted into the top universities?

I know that, it's not only the grades that count, but also work experience and extra curricular activities:

4. What work experience could I get that's relevant to this subject of study and make my curriculum look better?

5. I already participate in some extra-curricular activities: soccer, model united nations, music ensembles and a philantropy group called Interact. Is there anything else I could add to increase my chances of being accepted?

I'm currently reading a Stephen Hawking book and have a never ending hunger for knowledge.

6. Is there any book, maths/physics related, that you encourage me to read? (can be high school or university level book)

If you feel there's something missing from the points I've mentioned, please feel free to add in a comment.
This is my future we're discussing, so I'll take all the help I can get.

Thank-you in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JRHawking said:
1. With this course, can I aspire to be an astronaut?

I am currently taking Maths A2, Physics A2, Further Mathematics A2, Chemistry A2, Music A2, Portuguese A2 and Thinking Skills AS. I'm studying hard to obtain the best grades possible (hopefully A's and A*'s if I work hard) and so I'm considering in applying to some of the best universities in this area, such as:

- Cambridge;
- Imperial College;
- Caltech;
- Cornell University
;

Yes I do know that it's hard to get accepted in these universities, but I am committed to get the necessary grades.

Probably not. I am assuming you mean a NASA astronaut. Unfortunately there isn't likely to be much of a manned space program in the US in the future so that idea is out the window.

Assuming there even is a manned space program, other requirements besides a college degree include:
US citizenship
A lot of flight experience
Peak physical condition
There is even a height requirement

As for the universities you mentioned, there are a lot more schools you should be applying to for aerospace engineering. Just do a quick google search. Just because the universities you mentioned are top names doesn't mean they are the best for aerospace engineering so be sure to look into that. For example, I don't even think Cornell is on the top 10 list for Aero in the US. A few in the US that I can think of that are probably better or on par with the ones you listed

MIT
Georgia Tech
Michigan
Purdue
Illinois
Maryland

Based on everything you are doing I think you are right on track to get into a good school. Just be sure to apply to a lot, because it is difficult to get into these schools.

RandomGuy88 said:
Probably not. I am assuming you mean a NASA astronaut. Unfortunately there isn't likely to be much of a manned space program in the US in the future so that idea is out the window.

Assuming there even is a manned space program, other requirements besides a college degree include:
US citizenship
A lot of flight experience
Peak physical condition
There is even a height requirement

Yes, I meant NASA astronaut. Well, if not NASA, maybe ESA. Hopefully there will be manned missions in the future.

RandomGuy88 said:
As for the universities you mentioned, there are a lot more schools you should be applying to for aerospace engineering. Just do a quick google search. Just because the universities you mentioned are top names doesn't mean they are the best for aerospace engineering so be sure to look into that. For example, I don't even think Cornell is on the top 10 list for Aero in the US. A few in the US that I can think of that are probably better or on par with the ones you listed

MIT
Georgia Tech
Michigan
Purdue
Illinois
Maryland

Based on everything you are doing I think you are right on track to get into a good school. Just be sure to apply to a lot, because it is difficult to get into these schools.

MIT seems like a really big long shot, the others I'll check into them. Anyway, I'll apply to as many as I can and hope I get accepted in a university with a good Aerospace program and perhaps a soccer team.

Another question I forgot to mention,

Is it possible to study (in my case take an Aerospace MEng) and play in the university's soccer team at the same time?

JRHawking said:
MIT seems like a really big long shot, the others I'll check into them. Anyway, I'll apply to as many as I can and hope I get accepted in a university with a good Aerospace program and perhaps a soccer team.

Another question I forgot to mention,

Is it possible to study (in my case take an Aerospace MEng) and play in the university's soccer team at the same time?

When you say "MEng" are you referring to at Masters of Engineering? If so why are you asking about this when you are not even an undergrad yet? As an undergrad you can certainly participate on your university's sports teams.

RandomGuy88 said:
When you say "MEng" are you referring to at Masters of Engineering? If so why are you asking about this when you are not even an undergrad yet? As an undergrad you can certainly participate on your university's sports teams.

I'm not an undergraduate yet, but I will in a year or so. I'm just planning ahead, or at least, trying to so. Thanks for the info.

JRHawking said:
I'm not an undergraduate yet, but I will in a year or so. I'm just planning ahead, or at least, trying to so. Thanks for the info.

Don't worry about doing a masters/phd before you have even started undergrad. I know you want to plan ahead but you need to make sure you enjoy and understand what you are studying. Once you start as an undergrad you should try to get involved in research or other activities related to your major. Those sort of things will help you determine what you want to do when you are finished with undergrad.

RandomGuy88 said:
Don't worry about doing a masters/phd before you have even started undergrad. I know you want to plan ahead but you need to make sure you enjoy and understand what you are studying. Once you start as an undergrad you should try to get involved in research or other activities related to your major. Those sort of things will help you determine what you want to do when you are finished with undergrad.

I understand and completely agree. I actually meant BEng, apologies for the mistake. I'll see if I can correct it.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about perhaps doing Mechanical Engineering first as a BEng and then doing the Aerospace as a minor or MEng. Is this possible? What do you think?
(I'm sorry if I come out as ignorant but I'm still trying to figure out how this "university thing works")

JRHawking said:
I'm thinking about perhaps doing Mechanical Engineering first as a BEng and then doing the Aerospace as a minor or MEng. Is this possible? What do you think?
(I'm sorry if I come out as ignorant but I'm still trying to figure out how this "university thing works")
It is totally possible, I'm doing it now

aero&astro said:
It is totally possible, I'm doing it now

Okay, but I'm still unsure if I'll do BEng in Aerospace or Mechanical. I guess it's a common doubt.

1. What is the difference between mechanical engineering and aerospace engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a broad field that focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems, such as machines, engines, and tools. Aerospace engineering, on the other hand, is a specialized branch of mechanical engineering that specifically deals with the design and development of aircraft and spacecraft.

2. What skills are needed to pursue a MEng in Mechanical Engineering/Aerospace Engineering?

To be successful in a MEng program in mechanical or aerospace engineering, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and physics. Additionally, skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, and computer-aided design (CAD) are also essential. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for working in a collaborative environment.

3. What job opportunities are available for graduates with a MEng in Mechanical Engineering/Aerospace Engineering?

Graduates with a MEng in mechanical or aerospace engineering have a wide range of job opportunities available to them. Some common career paths include working in the aerospace industry, automobile industry, or in research and development. Other potential career options include working in energy, manufacturing, or consulting.

4. Is a MEng in Mechanical Engineering/Aerospace Engineering a good choice for someone interested in a research career?

Yes, pursuing a MEng in mechanical or aerospace engineering is a great choice for those interested in a research career. The program provides students with a strong theoretical and practical foundation, as well as opportunities to work on research projects with faculty members. This experience can lead to further studies in a PhD program or a career in research and development.

5. How long does it typically take to complete a MEng in Mechanical Engineering/Aerospace Engineering?

The duration of a MEng program in mechanical or aerospace engineering can vary depending on the program and the student's course load. Typically, it takes 2-3 years to complete the program, but some accelerated programs may be completed in 1 year. Part-time options are also available, which may take longer to complete.