• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Microscopic Ohm's Law

• Thread starter ed2288
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Explain the terms used in the microscopic version of Ohm's Law

Homework Equations

j=oE

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know what we have here is the current density within a conductor is equal to its conductivity multiplied by an 'E-field'. But what is this E-field? Is it an external field that acts upon the wire? But if this is the case will the electrons in the conductor not just move in a few microseconds to go back into equilibrium meaning j=0. You could act on it with an varying field but then how would the calculation work out?
Or is E the field inside the conductor caused by the current density?
Thanks

Answers and Replies

LowlyPion
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Explain the terms used in the microscopic version of Ohm's Law

Homework Equations

j=oE

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know what we have here is the current density within a conductor is equal to its conductivity multiplied by an 'E-field'. But what is this E-field? Is it an external field that acts upon the wire? But if this is the case will the electrons in the conductor not just move in a few microseconds to go back into equilibrium meaning j=0. You could act on it with an varying field but then how would the calculation work out?
Or is E the field inside the conductor caused by the current density?
Thanks
Maybe this helps?
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/electric/ohmmic.html

Hmmm I guess I've spent so long doing electrostatics that I'm struggling a bit with the intuition of currents.
So from the link above, am I right in thinking the E field is from within the wire caused by a potential difference from a power source?