1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Missing minus sign - Motional EMF

1. Jun 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An infinitely long conductor carrying a current I in the positive z-direction lies on the z-axis.
    A conducting triangle of wires lies in the yz-plane, which moves with a speed v in the positive y-direction.
    The following figure shows the situation on time t = 0:
    [​IMG]

a) Calculate the induced voltages [itex]V_Q-V_P[/itex] and [itex]V_P-V_R[/itex] on t=0.
    I got this, no problem.

b) Calculate the induced voltage [itex]V_Q-V_R[/itex] on time t=0.
    Hint: First calculate the induced voltage on a little segment dl and notice that [itex]dl = \sqrt{dz^2 + dy^2} = \sqrt{2} dy[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\epsilon = \int (\vec{v} \times \vec{B}) \cdot \vec{dl}[/tex]
    [tex]B = \frac{ \mu_0 I}{2 \pi y}[/tex] (at a distance y, in the negative x-direction (into the screen)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got the answer right apart from a minus sign...

I first checked the direction of the crossproduct v*B and got it to be in the positive z-direction.
    Dot product with dl is then
    [tex]( \vec{v} \times \vec{B} ) \cdot \vec{dl} = vB \, dl \cos \theta = vB \, dl cos(135) = -\frac{1}{2} \sqrt{2} vB \, dl[/tex]
    Because dl is pointing from Q to R, the angle is 90 + 45 = 135, right?

Then:
    [tex]\epsilon = -\frac{1}{2} \sqrt{2} \int_a^{2a} B v dl = -\frac{1}{2} \sqrt{2} \int_a^{2a} \frac{\mu_0 I}{2 \pi y} v \sqrt{2} dy = - \frac{\mu_0 I v}{2 \pi} \int_a^{2a} \frac{dy}{y} = - \frac{\mu_0 I v}{2 \pi} \ln{2}[/tex]

As I said, the answer is correct apart from the minus sign... Where did I go wrong?

The answer I am given is this exactly:
    [tex]d \epsilon = v \frac{\mu_0 I}{2 \pi y} \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{2} dl[/tex]
    [tex]V_Q-V_R = \int_a^{2a}\frac{\mu_0 I v}{2 \pi y} dy = \frac{ \mu_0 I v}{2 \pi } \ln{2}[/tex]
    That's all, nothing more... I can't quite figure out what they are doing, which equations they are using...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

This is missing a minus sign. Read this: Negative Signs in Potential

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?