Mixing Two Liquids: What is the Equilibrium Temp?

In summary, the equilibrium temperature of the mixture of two liquids with equal mass, one at 50 degrees Celsius and one at 20 degrees Celsius, with different specific heats, will be (c) less than 35 degrees Celsius. The volume of the liquids does not affect the specific heat, which is defined as the amount of heat needed to change 1g of the substance 1 degree Celsius. Therefore, the cooler liquid will need more energy to heat up by 1 degree than the hotter liquid gives off by cooling 1 degree, resulting in a final temperature on the colder side.
metalmagik

Homework Statement

Two liquids of equal mass, one at 50 degrees Celsius, and one at 20 degrees Celsius, have different specific heats. Suppose the colder liquid has the higher specific heat. If the two liquids are mixed together in an insulating container, the equilibrium temperature of the mixture will be:
(a) 35 degrees C
(b) greater than 35 degrees C
(c) less than 35 degrees C
(d) not enough information

Homework Equations

Q = mc(delta T) ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I know there's nothing to really calculate here, so after thinking about this question for about 10 minutes...I thought the answer was (c) less than 35 degrees Celsius. However, after talking to one of my classmates, he brought up the fact that Volume is not given. Then, I told him that volume should really have no bearing on specific heat capacities, since specific heat is defined as the amount of heat needed to change 1g of the substance 1 degree Celsius either higher or lower. So, right now I'm between (c) and (d). Does anyone have the right answer? I even tried googling this after spending all this time deliberating with myself, and with my classmate. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say 'C', you know that the cooler liquid must 'win'. It needs more energy to heat by 1deg than the hotter liquid gives by cooling 1deg and so the final temperaturemust be on the cold side.

That's what I thought, I just wasn't sure if the ungiven volumes played a role. Thanks mgb_phys!

mgb_phys said:
I would say 'C', you know that the cooler liquid must 'win'. It needs more energy to heat by 1deg than the hotter liquid gives by cooling 1deg and so the final temperaturemust be on the cold side.

No - it doesn't take more energy to heat a gram of the cooler liquid by 1 deg. than a kilo of the hotter one gives by cooling 1 deg. !

The question says that there are equal masses of the two liquids.

mgb_phys said:
The question says that there are equal masses of the two liquids.

Sorry :blushing:I got confused in hurry with another comment. Then mgb is right.

Related to Mixing Two Liquids: What is the Equilibrium Temp?

1. What is meant by "equilibrium temperature"?

The equilibrium temperature refers to the temperature at which two liquids, when mixed together, reach a state of thermal equilibrium. In this state, both liquids have the same temperature and there is no net heat transfer between them.

2. How do you determine the equilibrium temperature when mixing two liquids?

The equilibrium temperature can be determined by using the principle of energy conservation. This involves calculating the initial energy of each liquid before mixing, and then setting it equal to the final energy of the mixture. Solving for the temperature at which this occurs gives the equilibrium temperature.

3. What factors can affect the equilibrium temperature of two liquids?

The equilibrium temperature can be affected by a number of factors, including the initial temperature and volume of each liquid, the specific heat capacities of the liquids, and any heat transfer that may occur between the liquids and their surroundings.

4. Can the equilibrium temperature be higher or lower than the initial temperatures of the two liquids?

Yes, the equilibrium temperature can be either higher or lower than the initial temperatures of the two liquids. This depends on the specific heat capacities of the liquids and the initial temperatures and volumes of each liquid.

5. How can the equilibrium temperature be used in practical applications?

The concept of equilibrium temperature is useful in various practical applications, such as in chemical reactions, heat exchangers, and heat transfer processes. Understanding the equilibrium temperature can help in designing and optimizing these processes to achieve the desired temperature conditions.