1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mixture problem. How to solve for C?

1. Feb 22, 2013 #1
    I need to solve for C. I know it's probably simple but i don't remember how to. This is what I have so far:
    FgCaDxf.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2013 #2
    Because the volume flow rate entering is different from the volume flow rate leaving, you need to write down two differential equations, rather than 1:

Volume Input - Volume Output = accumulation for the volume of fluid in the tank

Chemical X Input - chemical X Output = accumulation for chemical X in the tank

If V(t) is the volume of fluid in the tank at time t, fin is the volumetric flow rate of fluid in, and f_out is the volumetric flow rate of fluid out, what is the differential equation for V?

If C(t) is the concentration of chemical X within the tank at time t, and C_in is the concentration of chemical X in the feed to the tank, what is the differential equation for the rate of change of total chemical X in the tank?

The next step is to multiply the differential equation for V by C, and subtract the resulting relationship from the mass balance on chemical X.

4. Feb 22, 2013 #3
    I don't follow.. The way I did it is the way the professor instructed us and the steps match the steps in his example. To solve for C, I now realize from an example in the book that A(0)=35. With that information, I can solve for C.

WYp5JqT.png

5. Feb 23, 2013 #4
    OK. I see what you did, and, of course, it is right. But, here's my alternate version to consider:

[tex]\frac{dV}{dt}=f_{in}-f_{out}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{d(VC)}{dt}=f_{in}C_{in}-f_{out}C[/tex]
    Multiply the first equation by C and subtract it from the second equation:

[tex]V\frac{dC}{dt}=f_{in}(C_{in}-C)[/tex]

where [itex]V=V_0+(f_{in}-f_{out})t[/itex]
    So,

[tex]\frac{dC}{(C_{in}-C)}=f_{in}\frac{dt}{V_0+(f_{in}-f_{out})t}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook