Model Flow Pressure in Branch Pipe

In summary, the conversation is about modeling flow through a branched pipe using standard partial differential equations for a hydraulic transmission line. The equations have been discretized and linearized with boundary conditions specified, but the issue is how to model the branch itself. The possibility of modeling it as a simple pressure drop is discussed and the general form of the branch is deemed unimportant. The model is being written in Matlab and Simulink and is in state space form. The specific model details can be requested for further discussion.
Nevonis
Hello guys

So I'm trying to model flow through a branched pipe. The equations I've used are the standard partial differential equations for a hydraulic transmission line:
∂p/∂t = -β/A * ∂q/∂x​
∂q/∂t = -A/ρ * ∂p/∂x - F/ρ + g*Acos(α(x))​

I've discretized and linearized these so that I can model it with boundary conditions, q_in and p_out, and they look like this

∂pi/∂t = β/(A*l) * (qi-1-qi)​
∂qi/∂t = A/(l*ρ) * (pi - pi+1) - fqi

Think staggered grid; q_in, p_1, q_1, p_2, q_2 ... p_N, q_N, p_out.

My problem is that I can't find out how to model the branch itself. It obviously has one inlet and two outlets, can I model it as easy as

∂pbranch/∂t = β/(A*l) * (qin-qout1-qout2)​

..It just seems to easy.

If you know of any articles or books, or know it yourself, please give me a shout.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Without knowing any other details about your model, the pressure drop in each branch should be equal, IMO.

The branches are not the problem. The problem is the branch itself, how the dynamic model for the branch will look like. This area: http://static.quality-tuning.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/stainless-steel-y-pipe-l150-(1).jpg (just an example)
The form of the branch won't matter. I'm modeling it in 1D without thinking about gravity or anything else.
I'm writing this in Matlab and simulink, and it's a dynamic model as I wrote which should react to changes in the boundary conditions (being flow in and pressures on the two outlets.)

It's in state space form x_dot = Ax+Bu where u are the boundary conditions.

If you need more spesific info about the model, please ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your link is busted.

The middle one. But only with 2 branches

What is the concept of model flow pressure in branch pipe?

Model flow pressure in branch pipe is a scientific concept that refers to the pressure exerted on a branch pipe that is connected to a main pipe. This pressure is caused by the flow of a fluid, such as water or gas, through the main pipe and into the branch pipe.

How is model flow pressure in branch pipe calculated?

The model flow pressure in branch pipe is calculated using Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the fluid velocity, density, and the elevation difference between the main pipe and the branch pipe. Other factors such as friction and pipe geometry may also be considered in the calculation.

Why is it important to understand model flow pressure in branch pipe?

Understanding model flow pressure in branch pipe is crucial in designing and maintaining a safe and efficient piping system. It helps engineers and scientists determine the appropriate pipe size, pressure rating, and flow rate to prevent potential hazards or failures.

What are some common applications of model flow pressure in branch pipe?

Model flow pressure in branch pipe is used in various industries, including plumbing, irrigation, and natural gas distribution. It is also important in fire protection systems, where accurate pressure calculations are necessary to ensure proper functioning of the sprinkler system.

Are there any factors that can affect model flow pressure in branch pipe?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect model flow pressure in branch pipe, such as changes in flow rate, fluid properties, pipe material and size, and changes in elevation. Additionally, any obstructions or bends in the pipe can also impact the pressure distribution within the system.