Calc Mass KHP Req'd to React w/ 0.100M NaOH - 65 Char

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the mass of KHP needed to react with 35 mL of 0.100M NaOH, with an emphasis on using the balanced reaction equation and stoichiometry to find the number of moles of KHP required. The conversation also briefly touches on the conversion of KHP to moles and provides resources for further understanding of these concepts.
kremit

Homework Statement

Calculate the mass (in grams) of KHP required to react completely with the NaOH in 35 mL of 0.100M NaOH.

KHP = KHC8H4O4(aq)
molar mass of "KHP"= 204.2 g/mol

Homework Equations

This is a double replacement reaction of the acid-base neutralization type. In other words the K will be replaced with Na and the product will have H2O in the mix.

The Attempt at a Solution

It wants KHP in grams.

g/m * m/L*

See this is where I get lost. I'm sure its something simple. Also m/l = M. Just to make sure, if I have the volume (L) and the Molarity (M) to get the moles, the only thing i have to do is multiple the volume by the molarity?

Physics news on Phys.org
kremit said:
This is a double replacement reaction of the acid-base neutralization type. In other words the K will be replaced with Na and the product will have H2O in the mix.

You got it wrong, K won't be replaced by Na.

Try to write balanced reaction equation.

It wants KHP in grams.

Calculate moles first, then convert to grams. But you need balanced reaction equation first.

--
methods

thank you for the reply and groovy hair BTW. :cool: My mistake, it was the H. I had to look it over again.

KHC8H4O4(aq) + NaOH --> NaKC8H4O4 +H2O(l)

I looked over this a couple times and it looks balanced to me.

There is ...

1 Na -> 1 Na
1 K -> 1K
H+H4+H = 6 ->H4+H2= 6
C8 = C8
O4+O = 5 -> O4+O = 5

By chance is the problem:

mol NaOH x mol KHP/mol NaOH x g KHP/mol KHP ?

Last edited:
Reaction is OK - you don't have to check separately if every element is balanced, note that C8H4O42- is present on both sides, it is not much different from other groups (like SO42-) that are almost always treated as a whole.

mol NaOH x mol KHP/mol NaOH x g KHP/mol KHP ?

Yes, that's OK - but it is obvious now, after you have checked what is stoichiometry of the reaction. 1 mole of KHP reacts with 1 mole of NaOH.

--
methods

Thank you. Last question would be about converting KHP to moles.

I don't understand how to make a conversion question for that.

Please elaborate, no idea what you mean.

You can easily calculate number of moles of NaOH, you know they react 1:1, so number ofmoles of KHP must be identical to number of moles of NaOH.

See also

http://www.titrations.info/titration-calculation

Calculate the amount(in moles) of KHP required to react completely with the NaOH in 35 mL of 0.100M NaOH.

This is what I was referring to.

Read my previous post, this is a simple stoichiometry.

Unless you have no idea what reation equation means. If so, please see how to read reaction equation.

--
methods

I am a beggining chemistry student and we have only had a couple lectures on stoichiometry and molarity. I will check out your site for further information.dziękuję

Related to Calc Mass KHP Req'd to React w/ 0.100M NaOH - 65 Char

1. What is KHP?

KHP stands for potassium hydrogen phthalate, which is a common acid used in laboratory experiments to standardize solutions.

2. What is the purpose of reacting KHP with NaOH?

The purpose of this reaction is to determine the concentration of the NaOH solution by measuring the amount of KHP that reacts with it.

3. How is the mass of KHP needed to react with 0.100M NaOH calculated?

The mass of KHP needed is calculated using the equation m = MV/1000, where m is the mass in grams, M is the molarity of NaOH, and V is the volume in milliliters.

4. Why is the concentration of NaOH important in this calculation?

The concentration of NaOH is important because it determines the amount of KHP that will react with it. A higher concentration of NaOH will require a larger mass of KHP to fully react.

5. What is the significance of the 65 character limit in the question?

The 65 character limit is a common limit for titles or descriptions in scientific experiments. It allows for concise and clear communication of the essential information without unnecessary details.