1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Molarity to grams

1. Apr 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the mass (in grams) of KHP required to react completely with the NaOH in 35 mL of 0.100M NaOH.

KHP = KHC8H4O4(aq)
    molar mass of "KHP"= 204.2 g/mol
    2. Relevant equations

This is a double replacement reaction of the acid-base neutralization type. In other words the K will be replaced with Na and the product will have H2O in the mix.

3. The attempt at a solution

It wants KHP in grams.

g/m * m/L*

See this is where I get lost. I'm sure its something simple. Also m/l = M. Just to make sure, if I have the volume (L) and the Molarity (M) to get the moles, the only thing i have to do is multiple the volume by the molarity?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You got it wrong, K won't be replaced by Na.

Try to write balanced reaction equation.

Calculate moles first, then convert to grams. But you need balanced reaction equation first.

--
    methods

4. Apr 13, 2010 #3
    thank you for the reply and groovy hair BTW. :cool: My mistake, it was the H. I had to look it over again.

KHC8H4O4(aq) + NaOH --> NaKC8H4O4 +H2O(l)

I looked over this a couple times and it looks balanced to me.

There is ...

1 Na -> 1 Na
    1 K -> 1K
    H+H4+H = 6 ->H4+H2= 6
    C8 = C8
    O4+O = 5 -> O4+O = 5

By chance is the problem:

mol NaOH x mol KHP/mol NaOH x g KHP/mol KHP ???

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  5. Apr 13, 2010 #4

Borek

Reaction is OK - you don't have to check separately if every element is balanced, note that C8H4O42- is present on both sides, it is not much different from other groups (like SO42-) that are almost always treated as a whole.

Yes, that's OK - but it is obvious now, after you have checked what is stoichiometry of the reaction. 1 mole of KHP reacts with 1 mole of NaOH.

--
    methods

6. Apr 13, 2010 #5
    Thank you. Last question would be about converting KHP to moles.

I don't understand how to make a conversion question for that.

7. Apr 13, 2010 #6

Borek

Please elaborate, no idea what you mean.

You can easily calculate number of moles of NaOH, you know they react 1:1, so number ofmoles of KHP must be identical to number of moles of NaOH.

See also

http://www.titrations.info/titration-calculation

8. Apr 13, 2010 #7
    Calculate the amount(in moles) of KHP required to react completely with the NaOH in 35 mL of 0.100M NaOH.

This is what I was referring to.

9. Apr 13, 2010 #8

Borek

Read my previous post, this is a simple stoichiometry.

Unless you have no idea what reation equation means. If so, please see how to read reaction equation.

--
    methods

10. Apr 13, 2010 #9
    I am a beggining chemistry student and we have only had a couple lectures on stoichiometry and molarity. I will check out your site for further information.dziękuję

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook