Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Møller radius

1. Sep 19, 2014 #1
    Can someone either derive or point me to a derivation of Møller's formula for the relativistic minimum radius of a rotating body? I've been searching for about an hour and it's driving me crazy!

The only "minimum radius" equation I've seen imposes the speed limit c on a classical rotating body (v = L/mR < c). This is only semi-relativistic since it takes L=r x p and p=mv. The two results are identical, but from the references I can find Møller's formula is supposedly fully relativistic...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2014 #2
    anyone? I wouldve expected this to be a quick answer.. To bad I posted this seconds before they shut the site down for migration >.<

4. Sep 26, 2014 #3

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Try:
    C. Moller, Commun. Dublin Inst. Adv. Stud., A5, 1 (1949).
    C. Moller, ”The Theory of Relativity”, 2nd ed. (Oxford University Press, 1972), p. 176.

The second (textbook) reference will probably be easier to find. The secondary source for these references was http://www.phys.lsu.edu/faculty/oconnell/PDFfiles/311. Rotation and Spin in Physics.pdf in the section quoted below.

5. Sep 27, 2014 #4
    Thanks pervect, I did come across Moller's stuff but I don't have access through my school (they're too old). I'll check out that second source tho

6. Sep 27, 2014 #5
    >.< yea your source is just like all the ones I found! They reference Moller's work but only show the conclusion...

7. Sep 28, 2014 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  8. Sep 28, 2014 #7
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  9. Sep 29, 2014 #8
    Sorry, let me clarify that a little:

I already have plenty of textbooks on relativity, so buying a new one just for this question seems ridiculous. If there really is no accessible derivation can somebody who has the textbook just sketch the argument out for me?

10. Sep 30, 2014 #9

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

11. Sep 30, 2014 #10
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook