Finding Centre of Gravity | Calculating Moments and Work Done

• Thread starter crpcrpcrp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moments
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the center of gravity for an irregular shaped piece of cardboard and solving for the force provided by a waiter at a certain point and the upward force exerted by their fingers. It also explores the change in force when the drink is moved closer to the hand and the work done by the waiter in lifting the tray and drink. To find the center of gravity for the cardboard, one would need to determine the distribution of mass experimentally. The force provided by the waiter at the point P is 24N and the upward force exerted by their fingers at point T can be calculated using the equation M=Fd. The force needed to keep the tray horizontal does not change when the drink is moved. The work done
crpcrpcrp

Homework Statement

1.Describe how you would find the centre of gravity of a piece of cardboard of irregular shape.

2.The figure represents a tray held horizontally by a glass of water. The tary has a weight of 6N amd supports a drink of weight 3N.The waiter provides a force at P. The tray may pivot about T.(THE DRAWING IS ATTACHED)

(i)Use the information to find the force provided by the waiter at P and the upward force the hand exerts at T.
(ii)The drink is moved along the tray closer to the hand.Is the force needed to keep the tary horizontal now less, greater or the same? Explain your answer.
(iii)How much work is done by the waiter in lifting the tray and drink through a geight of 0.6m?

Homework Equations

Moments=Force X Distance
M=Fd

Work Done=Force X Distance
W=Fd

The Attempt at a Solution

2(i) 40cm X 3N=5cm X PN
120=5P
120/5=P
24=P
(ii)The force is not less (BUT I CAN'T EXPLAIN WHY):confused:
(iii)Work Done=0.6 X 6N=3.6J

Attachments

• pic.zip
    10.3 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(ii)The force is not less (BUT I CAN'T EXPLAIN WHY)

There is the mass of the tray and the mass of the glass of water. The total mass (and therefore weight) does not change.

When working with static forces and moments, one looks at net force = 0, and net moment = 0.

The change in moment arm changes the distribution of force, but opposing net forces must add to zero.

The dimensions don't add correctly on your diagram; is the water glass 25 cm from the pivot and is the tray length 40 cm?? Once this is corrected, sum torques about the pivot as you have done, but don't forget to include the torque of the tray weight about the pivot point. You'll need to do a little math to calculate the lever arn length from the tray's center of gravity. And show how to determine the force T. And which force do you use when determining the work done by the waiter in lifting the tray?

So are my other answers correct? And do you know how would i find the centre of gravity for the irregular shaped piece of cardboard?

crpcrpcrp said:
So are my other answers correct? And do you know how would i find the centre of gravity for the irregular shaped piece of cardboard?
For the irregular shape, I assume you are trying to find the c.g. experimentally. What is the definition of center of gravity?

For problem 2(i), assuming you have corrected your equation to solve for P, the downward force of the waiter's thumb on the tray, you have not yet shown your attempt to calculate T, the upward force exerted by his fingers.
For (ii), as pointed out, the P and T forces will change, but their sum will not.

For part(iii), the work done by the waiter is the work done against gravity. What is the work done by gravity? Your answer is not correct. Alternatively, you could sum the work done by P and T and get the same result. Show your attempt, please.

1. What is the concept of "Moments again"?

The concept of "Moments again" is a term used to describe the idea that certain moments in our lives can be repeated or recreated, either through our memories or by physically recreating the situation. These moments can hold significance and hold a strong emotional impact on individuals.

2. Can anyone experience "Moments again"?

Yes, anyone can experience "Moments again" as it is a natural part of human memory and perception. However, the intensity and frequency of these moments may vary from person to person.

3. How are "Moments again" related to nostalgia?

"Moments again" can be closely related to nostalgia, as it involves revisiting past experiences and memories. Nostalgia can also be triggered by certain moments and can lead to the desire to recreate or relive those moments.

4. Are "Moments again" always positive experiences?

No, "Moments again" can be both positive and negative experiences. It ultimately depends on the individual's perception and feelings towards the moment being revisited. Some moments may bring joy and happiness, while others may bring sadness or regret.

5. Is there any scientific evidence to support the concept of "Moments again"?

While there may not be specific research on the concept of "Moments again," there is evidence to suggest that our memories and perception can play a role in how we experience and remember past events. Additionally, studies have shown that reminiscing on positive memories can have a positive impact on our well-being.