Calc Momentum Change: 2200 kg Truck Traveling North East

• Thread starter dominus96
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the truck's linear momentum changed from 31 to 50 kg/m. The truck was traveling north at 31 km/h when it turned east and accelerated to 50 km/h. The direction of the change in linear momentum was in degrees (i.e. it changed from pointing north to pointing east).
dominus96

Homework Statement

A 2200 kg truck traveling north at 31 km/h turns east and accelerates to 50 km/h.

(a) What is the magnitude of the change in the linear momentum of the truck?

(b) What is the direction of the change in the linear momentum of the truck (in degrees)?

Homework Equations

p=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the momentum for each speed and then subtracted the smaller one from the larger one, but it was incorrect. What am I doing wrong?

And for part (b) I have no clue.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I found the momentum for each speed and then subtracted the smaller one from the larger one, but it was incorrect. What am I doing wrong?
Did you convert your units properly? Can you show your calculation?

i need help with this too.

i have been trying to work it out but it is wrong.

Please Help!

physicsbhelp do you go to St. Andrews school by any chance?

um i have no clue what school is st.adnrews?

do you by any chance know
how to complete this problem?

no i still don't have it. I tried everything.

alright then.

Maybe make the velocities into vector components. If you draw a picture with the vectors you will get a triangle. Subtract the components of the vectors, final minus the initial components, which will give you change in velocity and mass remains constant, so no change in mass. To calculate the magnitude of the change in momentum, do the square root of the components of the resultant change in momentum, or you can factor out the mass and mutiply that by square root of change in velocity components, which is the hypotenuse of the triangle.

Last edited:
but i do not know how to find out the componenets of the vectors?

[tex]\Delta[/tex]P=m[tex]\Delta[/tex]v

[tex]\Delta[/tex]v=v2-v1

draw a triangle, one leg going up 31km/h, and at the tip draw the other leg going east 50km/h. Draw a line from the origin to the point where it is at 50km/h. There your have a right triangle. you hypotenuse is the magnitude of the change in velocity. Look at the equation, change in momentum is mass times change in velocity. There is your magnitude. How do you find the angle between the first leg and and the hypotenuse leg where they have a common point at the origin. remember it is a right triangle.

Last edited:
okay so i got part a) by doing the pythagorean theorem but i do not get part c
i think it has something to do with the inverse of the tangent but I am not sure
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

okay so i got part a) by doing the pythagorean theorem but i don't know how to get part b)! i know it has something to do with the inverse of the tangent but i don't really know!
PLEASE HELP!

how did u get part a? I haven't and this is due tomorrow...

physicsbhelp said:
okay so i got part a) by doing the pythagorean theorem but i don't know how to get part b)! i know it has something to do with the inverse of the tangent but i don't really know!
PLEASE HELP!

tangent inverse of the slope.

thank you. but is the slope the momentum of the north divided by the momentum of the east?

is the answer around like 40 degrees?

and antineutron you are a big help by the way!

thank you i figured it out actually , so you don't have to reply.
but THANK YOU SO MUCH

Related to Calc Momentum Change: 2200 kg Truck Traveling North East

What is momentum change?

Momentum change is the measure of how much a moving object's velocity changes over a period of time. It is calculated by multiplying the object's mass by its change in velocity.

Why is momentum change important?

Momentum change is important because it helps us understand how objects move and interact with each other. It is also a key concept in the laws of motion and can be used to predict the motion of objects.

How is momentum change calculated?

Momentum change is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its change in velocity. In the case of the 2200 kg truck traveling northeast, we would need to know the truck's initial velocity and its final velocity in order to calculate its momentum change.

What factors can affect momentum change?

The factors that can affect momentum change include the mass of the object, the object's velocity, and the amount of time over which the object's velocity changes. In the case of the truck, factors such as friction, air resistance, and collisions can also affect its momentum change.

How can momentum change be applied in real life?

Momentum change can be applied in many real-life situations, such as predicting the motion of objects in a collision, analyzing the performance of vehicles, and understanding the behavior of fluids and gases. It is also used in industries such as engineering, physics, and sports science.