Gas Law Problems: Calculating Volume of 2.0g He at 25°C & 775 mm Pressure

In summary, to determine the volume occupied by 2.0 g of helium at 25 degrees C and a pressure of 775 mmHg, we use the equation Pv = nRT. After solving for the number of moles, which is 0.0718 mol, we can use this value to calculate the volume. The universal gas constant, R, is always the same and in SI units it is 8.314472 Joules per mol kelvin. After converting the pressure to pascals, we can solve for the volume, which is approximately 1.59 liters.
blackjack18
what volume is occupied by 2.0 g of He at 25 degrees C and a pressure of 775 mm?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] Pv = nRT [/tex]

P = pressure
v = volume
n = number of moles
R = universal gas constant
T = temperature.

Calculate how many moles are in 2.0 grams of helium, divide both sides of the equation by P.

Solve.

EDIT: Remember to have your units correct, IE Kelvin, kilograms etc

what is the constant? or is there one? if so, how do i determine what it is?

R is the universal gas constant. It is always the same. In si units, it is: 8.314472 Joules per mol kelvin.

ok, I am not sure about this, but is the answer 1.59?

What did you use as your numbers?

775=0.5(constant)(298), then divided by 775

That equation is: [tex] p = nRT [/tex]
You need volume on the left hand side to solve for it.
Also, you wrote in the question description that pressure = 775mm, I am going to assume that this is mmHg.
You are going to need to convert this to pascals.

What is the ideal gas law and how is it used in "More gas law problems"?

The ideal gas law, also known as the general gas equation, is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of ideal gases under different conditions. It is used in "More gas law problems" to solve for unknown variables such as pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles.

What is the difference between an ideal gas and a real gas?

An ideal gas follows the ideal gas law under all conditions, whereas a real gas deviates from the ideal gas law at high pressures and low temperatures. Real gases have intermolecular forces and occupy a finite volume, while ideal gases do not have these characteristics.

How do I convert between different units when solving gas law problems?

To convert between different units in gas law problems, use the following conversion factors: 1 atm = 101.3 kPa = 760 mmHg = 760 torr and 1 mole = 22.4 L at STP (standard temperature and pressure).

What is the relationship between temperature and volume in the gas laws?

According to Charles' Law, at constant pressure, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature. This means that as temperature increases, so does volume, and vice versa.

How do I apply the combined gas law to solve problems with changing conditions?

The combined gas law, which is a combination of Boyle's Law, Charles' Law, and Gay-Lussac's Law, can be used when there are changes in pressure, volume, and temperature. It states that the product of the initial pressure and volume divided by the initial temperature is equal to the product of the final pressure and volume divided by the final temperature.