More Work and Energy Problems

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem related to work done on an object with friction present. The problem involves a 15.0 kg block being dragged over a rough surface by a 82.0 N force at a 20.0° angle. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.300 and the block is displaced 5.50 m. The first question asks for the work done on the block by the 82 N force, which is found using the equation [sum]W = F*d*cos([the]) and the answer is 423.8014 J. The second and third questions ask for the work done by the normal force and gravitational force, respectively, but since the displacement in the vertical direction
Antepolleo
I'm having trouble solving a problem related to work done on an object with friction present. Any help would be appreciated. Here's the question:

A 15.0 kg block is dragged over a rough, horizontal surface by a 82.0 N force acting at 20.0° above the horizontal. The block is displaced 5.50 m, and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.300.

a) Find the work done on the block by the 82 N force.

This was easy enough. Since the force is constant, I used the equation [sum]W = F*d*cos([the]). I got the right answer, which was
423.8014 J.

b) Find the work done on the block by the normal force

and

c) Find the work done on the block by the gravitational force.

Since the displacement in the vertical direction was 0, no work was done by these forces.

Here's the part that I'm having trouble with:

d) What is the increase in internal energy of the block-surface system due to friction?

I figured that since friction is not a conservative force, I could say that the increase in internal energy would be equal to the work done by the frictional force. I was wrong, and I'm not sure what concept I'm missing here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Now I'm really baffled. I've just read several sources which tell me the energy loss due to friction should equal the work done by friction, which would be, if I'm not mistaken, μk*n*d.

μk - coefficient of kinetic friction

n - the normal force, which I believe would be m*g - F*sin(θ)

d - distance over which the force has acted

Can someone shed light on this for me?

edit - I'm really loving these math symbols, I don't see these on many forums.

Lord I'm such a dork.

Last edited:
"the increase in internal energy would be equal to the work done by the frictional force"

I'm no physics prof. (as you know) but this makes perfect sense to me. :)

I'll second that.

Are you turning it into a computer? If so, go through the calculations once more and check your sig figs. Computers are snippy with those.

I found the problem. I was using an incorrect theta. I plug all this stuff into MATLAB so I had to change the degrees into radians... I made a slight calculation error.

Thanks for the help!

Wait why is m*g - F*sin(θ) = n ?

I thought it was m*g*cos(θ)

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate work and energy problems?

Work and energy problems can be solved by using the formula W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance. The unit for work is joules (J).

2. What is the difference between work and power?

Work and power are related concepts, but they are not the same. Work is the amount of energy transferred when a force is applied over a distance. Power, on the other hand, is the rate at which work is done. It is calculated by dividing work by time. The unit for power is watts (W).

3. Can you give an example of a work and energy problem?

One example of a work and energy problem is lifting a book off the ground. Let's say the book weighs 5 newtons (N) and you lift it a distance of 2 meters (m). The work done would be 10 joules (J), calculated by multiplying the force (5N) by the distance (2m).

4. How does the mass of an object affect its work and energy?

The mass of an object does not directly affect its work and energy. However, the force required to move an object a certain distance may vary depending on its mass. For example, it would take more force to lift a heavier book the same distance as a lighter book.

5. Can work be negative in a work and energy problem?

Yes, work can be negative in a work and energy problem. This happens when the force is applied in the opposite direction of the displacement. For example, if you push a box with a force of 10N to the left, but the box moves 5m to the right, the work done would be -50J.